Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UV Projection mapping through Spline

Hi guys,

It's been years I'm trying to figure a way to projection map UV through splines, but I don't think it exist.
    I just wanted to double check as this would literally change my way of working.

This is a example of what I would like to achieve, to do so, I had to draw the map in PS and redraw the splines in max, but the idea is to have the black driving by the splines dynamically.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SNAG-0108.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	881726Click image for larger version

Name:	SNAG-0109.jpg
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	881727Click image for larger version

Name:	SNAG-0110.jpg
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	881728

Because this would be spline driver, like procedural maps, it would not be capped to any map resolution.

Is something like this possible?
    Would it be possible to have something similar that would be a map or a modifier to drive mat ids from a multi sub mat on a object?

Would Vray develop something like this?

Thanks
    Stan
    Last edited by 3LP; 09-05-2015, 02:05 AM.
    3LP Team

You can perfectly do this with a VRayDistanceTex to mix two maps or two materials : Simply add an extrude modifier on top of your spline and you can use it as a VRayDistanceTex object. Plus you'll be able to control the transition between the materials, hard or soft depending on the parameters you set.
    Last edited by theedge; 10-05-2015, 06:11 AM.

mekene

Comment

This could be a trick but it's not really a "clean" way to work with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SNAG-0113.jpg
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	856028

I my situation here I would need to drive all sorts of maps close to each other like roads lines, roads, curbs, footpaths, etc

Maybe it could be a option in the distance tex just to add a infinite z projection. That could be a good workaround and keep the file clean.

Vlado, would this be something that you could consider, or would you see this embedded somewhere else?

Thanks
      Stan
      3LP Team

Comment

Vlado, no thought it this could be implemented?
        I should probably post this in the wishlist actually.

Stan
        3LP Team

Comment

Originally posted by 3LP View Post
          Hi guys,

....I had to draw the map in PS and redraw the splines in max,

Stan
          You don't need to re-create splines in max. In PS select what you want and created Work Path. Then, File/Export/Paths to Illustrator and export as Ai file. In max import your ai path, which will come in as a spline. Density of spline points is controlled by PS path. Hope this helps. Zoran

Comment

Yes sorry maybe I didn't make it clear, I don't want to do anything in PS.
            It's just that fir the example I used PS to make my point.
            I would like to have the mask driven entirely through the splines in max.

Thanks for the tip though
            3LP Team

Comment

Bobo had a script for what you're after It's for older max version. He's a great guy and might be able to recompile for current max version. Path: http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/mxs2/shapescape/ Zoran

Comment

Originally posted by zoranm View Post
                You don't need to re-create splines in max. In PS select what you want and created Work Path. Then, File/Export/Paths to Illustrator and export as Ai file. In max import your ai path, which will come in as a spline. Density of spline points is controlled by PS path. Hope this helps. Zoran
                Best thing I've read today...thanks!

Comment

Nice script indeed.
                  I'm still looking for a way to get a procedural map driven by splines in max though

Vlado is this something you think you could add to the distance tex or would this be part of a separate map?

Stan
                  3LP Team

Comment

Vlado, I guess you still haven't got any plans for this, do you?

Stan
                    3LP Team

Comment

Did you take a look at the new map called ShapeMap in the 3ds max Extension 2 ?
                      It looks like a first step towards what you are looking for.

mekene

Comment

2016?

I'm still under 2014, can't bear the new UI and the viewport since 2015 with those glowy highlights around selected objects

Stan
                        3LP Team

Comment

Originally posted by 3LP View Post
                          ...with those glowy highlights around selected objects

Stan
                          Then just switch it off
                          Kind Regards,
                          Morne

Comment

As Morne said, those new selection highlights can be turned off. It's the first thing I did after installing 2016

Back to the Shape Map : I tested it yesterday and it works great... except for one thing : it generates an offset around the shape boundary which make it impossible to line up with the underlying object !!!
                            See my post here : http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/shadin...ed/m-p/5957577

So you can stick to 2014 for the moment and maybe upgrade to 2017 if this is fixed by then

mekene

Comment

Yep or 2018 knowing AD :-/

I still think it would be worth for CG to have a look at this and implement it straight into Vray as this could be a great add on, maybe not as much as Vraytriplanar mapping but it would still make a huge difference when dealing with masking textures

Stan
                              3LP Team

Comment

Working...
                              X