Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frame rate and beauty pass questions in animation sequences...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame rate and beauty pass questions in animation sequences...

I posted these three questions over at the Area as well...

I'm creating a 3 min. product video that will be played back on a flat panel at a trade show. I don't know if it will be powered by a laptop or blueray at this point. Also, it will be on YouTube most likely.

1) 1080p, 30 fps is always preferred of course, but in looking for ways to speed up the process, would the old stop motion trick of producing 15 fps on two's be acceptable? (each 15 fps is doubled to make 30 fps). Also, would 720p be sufficient for the flat-panel output?

2) Most all of my still renders have a extra pass in them such as Ambient Occlusion which in post, is set to Multiply and about 25% opacity. What is the preferred way to handle extra passes? I plan to put the sequences together in AE. So maybe my options are:

a) Use psd-manager to output single .psd frames where I could then set up a PS action to modify the AO layer in each frame and then save back out as a flattened tif. I would then import them into AE as a sequence.

b) Output all render passes to individual exr files. I'm unsure how to manage that volume of separate files for each Render Element or if there's any advantage to do it that way?

Lastly,
    3) How is depth of field handled? Is it best done in camera, or better to do it as a VrayZDepth pass and somehow get that into AE?

As you can tell, I'm new to the animation stuff and would deeply appreciate any pointers or best practices or resources.

Thanks!
    David Anderson
    www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
    Windows 10 Pro
    3ds Max 2023.3 Update
    V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
    Puget Systems
    TRX40 EATX
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
    2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
    128GB RAM

Hey there, i got the same number 2 question as you, how did you solve this?

Thanks!

Comment

These days, I usually render to PNG all of the beauty passes and then composite them in After Effects. So my AO pass, I can set to multiply and whatever opacity is needed. I hope that helps!
      David Anderson
      www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
      Windows 10 Pro
      3ds Max 2023.3 Update
      V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
      Puget Systems
      TRX40 EATX
      AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
      2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
      128GB RAM