Server options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server options

I am looking at replacing our main server. We have a Synology NAS that is working well as a file server, but I am investigating something to act as a floating license server, backburner server etc.

Any reason to have a fully-blown Windows Server system, or should any old 'stable' PC running Windows 7 suffice?
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

If it's just for licenses, then I'd say any old pc will do with Windows 7. No need to spend the extra cash on that. Rather take the cash that you would have used for Windows Server and instead get another render node
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

I have a problem with the "any old" part of that sentence. This is your floating license server, so if that machine goes down, production stops! Unless you are running redundant license servers. It doesn't have to be a major powerhouse, but it DEFINITELY needs to be reliable and a long term solution.

But that's just my two cents. I've had a license server fail and it really sucked! Took me almost two full working days to get all the licenses transferred to another machine to get the office back up and running.
      Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
      Midwest Studios

Comment

Hello,
        I have a open solaris zfs raid file server plus windows7 inside VirtualBox for licence server

kind regards
        alex

Comment

you can configure and start/stop virtualbox headless using phpvirtualbox.

A another solution could be:
          vmware hypervisor with two systems
          - freenas with dedicated sata controller
          - windows 7

Comment

We are about to migrate to a new tower-based server. In terms of the OS, any suggestions on this? We have had Windows SBS2003 for the last 7+ years. In all honesty, we use a fraction of the servers capabilities. We don't even use it as a file server these days with dedicated NAS-based systems. It really sits there dishing out licenses for VRay, Itoosoft etc. That's about it.

Should we be moving to Windows Server 2012 or something lighter/different but equally as stable?
            Kind Regards,
            Richard Birket

Comment

If it's just going to be a generic license server, you can just install windows 10 Professional and call it a day. Simple and easy to use and you can expand it to do other roles as needed.
              Midwest Studios

Comment

Originally posted by Donald2B View Post
                If it's just going to be a generic license server, you can just install windows 10 Professional and call it a day. Simple and easy to use and you can expand it to do other roles as needed.
                Any issue with CALs on Windows 10 Pro?
                Kind Regards,
                Richard Birket

Comment

What are CALs?
                  Midwest Studios

Comment

What are CALs?
                    Client Access Licenses or something like that. Basically, every user needs one - not sure about renderboxes etc.
                    Kind Regards,
                    Richard Birket

Comment

AH! I've never seen that abbreviation.

Yes, I have Nuke, Autodesk Design Premium, VRay, Sapphire AE plug-ins, PDPlayer and a host of other licenses on my Win10 box. All working without issues.

If you wanted to, you could just use an older copy of Windows 7 Pro and just use that if you are too concerned about compatibility with older licensing software. (I did need to get different WIBU drivers for the VRay dongle, but that was pretty trivial)
                      Midwest Studios

Comment

AH! I've never seen that abbreviation.

Yes, I have Nuke, Autodesk Design Premium, VRay, Sapphire AE plug-ins, PDPlayer and a host of other licenses on my Win10 box. All working without issues.

If you wanted to, you could just use an older copy of Windows 7 Pro and just use that if you are too concerned about compatibility with older licensing software. (I did need to get different WIBU drivers for the VRay dongle, but that was pretty trivial)
                        I'll have a think. I guess one of the main reasons justifying a formal 'server' is that it would be a domain controller too.
                        Kind Regards,
                        Richard Birket

Comment

Well, that changes EVERYTHING!

If you are going to go with Active Directory and setting up as a Domain controller, then I wouldn't get anything but Windows Server 2012.
                          Midwest Studios

Comment

What would be the benefit of a domain controller for any company with few users, let's say 10 users?
                            Kind Regards,
                            Morne

Comment

Security policy items and the like.
                              Kind Regards,
                              Richard Birket

Comment

Working...
                              X