MAX 2016 SP1 is live.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAX 2016 SP1 is live.

Fixes the group lag issue, apparently, and many other things.

Installing now, since I decided to finally test 2016. Will report if any obvious issues.
    Alex York
    Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
    www.atelieryork.co.uk

Oh wow. There's a new Extension 1 as well as the SP. I haven't heard anything about that.
    http://www.autodesk.com/products/3ds...w/gallery-view
    - Geoff

Comment

Anyone else still having an issue where if you use a PhysCam with horizontal/vertical shift and you isolate an object while looking through the camera it shifts back as if the shift wasn't applied? As soon as you exit the isolation it pings back into place. Seems like a bug...
      Alex York
      www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Sweet baby jeezus that was a crazy long install! Dang! I would have figured they would have fixed the update speed thing by now...took 30 min to "gather required information"! The OS drive is an M.2 PCIe x4 SSD!

Two thumbs down!
        Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
        Midwest Studios

Comment

Installed in just a couple minutes for me.
          - Geoff

Comment

Took forever for me too. I remember once seeing someone post a command line that would execute the SP installer in some kind of silent mode that sped it up massively. If anyone can find it please post.

By the way, no major show-stopping issues for me so far with this SP, or with 2016 in general. Some minor annoyances but that's to be expected this early on I guess. Really, really liking some of the new changes. The selection preview outline thing is awesome. Very jarring on the eyes but really useful. Selecting things in 3D viewports is way, WAY better than in previous max releases. You can actually select lights *first* in a viewport, or forest pack objects.. amazing. The new "live" scene explorer thing on the far left is pretty useful, I've found. The new PhysCam is fantastic and the live DOF preview is a huge time-saver. Viewports are quite a bit quicker and changing between 1 viewport and 4 is very quick now. I like the new Design workspace. Some useful regularly-used tools in there.

So, far, very impressed with 2016 in general.
            Last edited by alexyork; 13-08-2015, 01:28 AM.
            Alex York
            www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/maxst...k-installation

"When you install the Service Pack by running that can easily take half an hour, for the 3ds Max 2015 Service Pack 1 we're using a wrapper around the service pack which speeds up the actual install. If you extract the .msp file or want to install a service pack for a previous release you can use:msiexec /update 3dsMax2015_SP1.msp /quiet /l* 3dsmax_2015_sp1.log
              That should drastically reduce the time it takes to install the service pack."

Obviously just change the filename to the new SP1 for max 2016.

I don't accept any responsibility if something goes wrong when you do this, so tread carefully!
              Alex York
              www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by alexyork View Post
                The selection preview outline thing is awesome. Very jarring on the eyes but really useful.
                Agreed. I've found toning down the highlighting color so it just gives a little hint of the outline is much better.
                www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
                  Agreed. I've found toning down the highlighting color so it just gives a little hint of the outline is much better.
                  I changed mine from outline to overlay and liking that better, easier on the eyes
                  Cheers,
                  -dave
                  ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

the live DOF preview is a huge time-saver.
                    I've been using that on every animation i've done since 2008...
                    This was what my viewport looked like when i opened the thread (2014)

I'm looking forward to the 2016 upgrade, will probably give it a go once this animation is squared off.

Comment

Originally posted by Syclone1 View Post
                      I changed mine from outline to overlay and liking that better, easier on the eyes
                      Awesome! This is way better. Thanks.
                      Alex York
                      www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Awesome! This is way better. Thanks.
                        Glad I could help, I also get anoid at times with the overlay so someone told me about "alt+j" here to toggle the overlay on and off and I use that a fair bit as well.
                        Cheers,
                        -dave
                        ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Would anyone mind telling me if the odd 'intuitive' viewport navigation system that debuted in 2015 still exists in this latest version?
                          The one originally dicussed here? : http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...ight=2015+ZOOM

I've been holding back from upgrading past 2015 SP2 as I got the impression from a thread somewhere that the reversion to the old navigation system wasn't always working past 2015 SP3.
                          I can't find any comment about it from searching in relation to 2016 so hope it's not an issue anymore.

Comment

Anyone else still having an issue where if you use a PhysCam with horizontal/vertical shift and you isolate an object while looking through the camera it shifts back as if the shift wasn't applied? As soon as you exit the isolation it pings back into place. Seems like a bug...
                            I was definitely getting this issue as well, i've installed SP1 but haven't tested it so not sure if its been fixed or not. the group lag seems to have been fixed, but i am having issues with incredibly slow load times on relatively low file sizes...?
                            have had to cancel a few via task manager and reopen them...

SP1 install took ages...

Comment

one really annoying 'issue' is how if you open a file through windows explorer when you press 'save as' in max it reverts to the 3ds Max default directory and you have to navigate to the file location...

Comment

Working...
                              X