No announcement yet.

Surface 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been using the i7 Surface Pro 3 with Max for a year and I've not experienced a single issue. I also use it with Photoshop/Illustrator, ZBrush etc with the stylus, and it handles all of the programs with ease. Gaming tends to work less well, but that's to be expected.Oh and I often run several of those programs at the same time and it still works.

Comment

I want more memory on the video card, and longer battery than 3 hours when using it as a tablet, so I better hang on to my SP3 and wait until next version before plunging $2,700. It is steep for a dual core cpu.
      Last edited by Nicinus; 09-10-2015, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
        i wish for two unreal things:
        3DSMAX, vray and plugs for Mac.
        OSX being sold as an alternative to windows and to be able to install it to your custom PC if you meet certain hardware requirements (certified HW parts)

this will of course never happen so ill just keep dreaming
        And even if it did it wouldn't help on the iPad Pro.

Comment

i wish for two unreal things:
          3DSMAX, vray and plugs for Mac.
          OSX being sold as an alternative to windows and to be able to install it to your custom PC if you meet certain hardware requirements (certified HW parts)

this will of course never happen so ill just keep dreaming
          All we need is a sexy bluetooth PC keyboard that can connect to an ipad - along with mouse support. Then you just remote into a PC machine and work. Not ideal, but I could get a fair amount of work done that way.

re: Surface Book. My wife wants it for Excel work, but I'm trying to get her to hold until we see more reviews and possibly go see it in person at the store. I've had too many bad experiences in the past with PC laptops, especially their value after purchase drops dramatically. I can still sell my 3 year macbook pro for a decent price to offset my future hardware. I'm more keen on the iPad pro.
          Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

i am too leaning to wards Ipad....I am not an apple "sheep" but if you have a look at all the reviews so far, you would really need to have a top spec Surface to 4 or Book to drive all your 3D apps....and thats a price tag of a powerfull workstation :-O...waaay too steep
            Last edited by PIXELBOX_SRO; 16-10-2015, 12:07 AM.
            Martin
            http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

From what I understand the iPad Pro (with 128GB) is $950 and you then need the keyboard, which could be another $150 and I guess the pen for another $100, adding up to $1,200.

The Surface Book is $1,500 and up, with $1,900 for an i5 with 256GB/8GB RAM and the nVidia GPU, which is a very usable system that isn't dependent on something like Teamviewer for everything (although that works too).

It is a difficult one, but I'm leaning towards the Surface Book since I the iPad is very limited on it's own.

Comment

The iPad doesn't have support for a mouse, so for me, it's not a viable solution for remote work.
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com
                e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Honestly guys, how much "productive" are do you imagine to be on such small devices exactly?
                  I think surface can be great with Zbrush, although when it comes to subdivisions, 16GB mem might not be enough.
                  But can you seriously think it will be decent enough to work in max?
                  THese devices are meant to be PADS in the first place and for a pad you should only need your finger or a pen, not keyboard and mouse. If you need the later ones youre much better with a notebook in my opinion.
                  I can imagine i would use such device for organising, note taking (written), storyboarding, drawing, retouching and for presentation purposes when you visit your clients.
                  What i cant imagine is staring into one of these devices trying to work with full blown app like MAX or AI which are not designed for such purpose.

If Apple made Ipad Pro with OSX it would canibalize its small laptops - thats not so good for the shareholders
                  Where MS is heading with its tablets is hard to tell for me at this point.
                  Martin

Comment

I sold a few large projects earlier this year, so I went shopping. I purchased a new MacBook Pro and a 27" Thunderbolt Display, with all the extras (trackpad, magic mouse...). Everything sat unused for 6-9 months, so I gave it to my kids. Same with my iPad's, all kinda gimmicky. Other than my workstation, all I really need is a Chromebook for web stuff, which is 95% of what most people use a computer for. I think things will change in 2020 when 5G comes around. Apparently the new iPhone 6S is as fast as a MacBook Pro, so with 5G, the phone will be all most people will need. Connect the phone to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and you'll be set. Most things can be streamed on-line, so you don't need much, except for bandwidth, which 5G will solve.
                    Bobby Parker
                    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Alright, so i finally got my iPad Pro + Apple Pencil and its simply brilliant piece of HW.
                      Vlado:
                      you asked me to let you know so i do
                      If you have a chance to try it out somewhere, i really recommend it.
                      Martin

Comment

Awesome! Can you live without a mouse?
                        Alright, so i finally got my iPad Pro + Apple Pencil and its simply brilliant piece of HW.
                        Vlado:
                        you asked me to let you know so i do
                        If you have a chance to try it out somewhere, i really recommend it.
                        Bobby Parker
                        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

and Li-Wi...they say is 100x faster than Wi-Fi
                          show me the money!!

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                            Awesome! Can you live without a mouse?
                            The ipad is only ever going to run iOS, which is designed purely for touch input, so I'm not sure how a mouse would work?

*edit* I've just looked back and seen people discussing remote access to a PC via the ipad. That makes more sense. Although from experience the compression artefacts from even the best remote access services would drive me mad.
                            Last edited by AJ Jefferies; 01-12-2015, 02:46 AM.
                            MDI Digital
                            moonjam

Comment

the remote experience is fine, using the team viewer app.
                              dont miss the mouse for the stuff i do remotely.
                              i bought it mainly for drawing, note taking, render checking while i am gone (remote stuff), to-dos etc....so i am happy.
                              If i wanted a machine to do remote work on PC, id just go for regular laptop.
                              Its very refreshing to use something else than PC though thats why i enjoy it.
                              And i am glad apple sticks to the original plan using ios and touch interface actually
                              Martin

Comment

I'm not in the market for either. But if I were I'd pick the surface over the iPad pro all day, every day.
                                Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X