Max 2015 viewport performance and back face Culling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max 2015 viewport performance and back face Culling

I was curious if anyone knows the answer to this question. I jumped from max 2010 to Max 2015 and I have often wondered why my viewport performance is terrible when backface culling is checked. I never had this problem with 2010 and I was using a much older system with XP64 OS. Now I have a faster system with Windows 7 and it slower......go figure.

Thanks......Scott.

That was an issue in the old days with hardware and backface culling made things faster.

Now days its the other way around and backface culling makes everything slower.
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
      That was an issue in the old days with hardware and backface culling made things faster.

Now days its the other way around and backface culling makes everything slower.
      Yea......I wish it was the old days again. I prefer to model with that option on, especially in shaded mode. I guess Autodesk continues to create software that screws with us. BRING BACK DISCREET!!
      Thanks....Scott

Comment

maybe switch your viewport to OpenGL and see how backface cull works for you then?
        Kind Regards,
        Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
          maybe switch your viewport to OpenGL and see how backface cull works for you then?
          Yea....tried that and open GL has it own set of issues. Not to sound to bitter but it sure would be nice if the pinheads over at Autodesk would actually use the software they develop in a production environment.
          Thank you for the feedback.

Comment

I think that's what their beta testers due.
            Originally posted by Smalerbi View Post
            Yea....tried that and open GL has it own set of issues. Not to sound to bitter but it sure would be nice if the pinheads over at Autodesk would actually use the software they develop in a production environment.
            Thank you for the feedback.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com
            e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
            phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
            • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
            • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Setup a shortcut key to toggle on/off backface culling for the objects that you need, but going forward, it will ALWAYS be slower to have backface culling turned ON! Period! Video cards are MUCH faster than they used to be and it takes longer for the CPU to tell the GPU which faces to / not to draw than it does to just send everything to the video card. Nitrous is a pretty big step forward in viewport performance compared to Pre 2012 versions of Max.

So I have to strongly disagree with you about this new feature. I hope they continue to make the viewport even better than what it is now! 2016 is lightyears ahead of 2010.
              Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
              Midwest Studios

Comment

Thanks Troy for the explanation. I also noticed some drop in performance when the objects are in editable Poly mode as compared to editable Mesh...do you know why? I'm running a Quadro 5000 and I could never get the Nitrous 11 driver to work correctly so I'm currently running 9. As for 2010...it was garbage. My favorite was always Max 9...its old school but it was fast. I haven't tried 2016. I'm still waiting for certain plug-ins to catch up.
                Thanks......

Comment

In older versions of Max, Editable poly objects could be a little slower in viewport. Max versions 2014+ have many more optimizations for poly objects and the difference is really not an issue. Are you still getting that performance hit within 2015?

The Quadro 5000 card is fully DirectX 11 compatible, so I don't know why you are not able to get that working correctly in 2015. I would start with changing drivers for the Quadro card and trying out a few different versions. They latest drivers are not necessarily the "best" drivers.

I would guess to think that Max 9 is a favorite for many of the older generation of users. That was one of the last mature releases of Max before they started reworking the core program over the next 5 years. I think that with 2016, you can really start to feel the maturation process of Max and it's really starting to hit it's stride now. I really enjoy working with 2016 right now.
                  Midwest Studios

Comment

Originally posted by Donald2B View Post
                    In older versions of Max, Editable poly objects could be a little slower in viewport. Max versions 2014+ have many more optimizations for poly objects and the difference is really not an issue. Are you still getting that performance hit within 2015?

The Quadro 5000 card is fully DirectX 11 compatible, so I don't know why you are not able to get that working correctly in 2015. I would start with changing drivers for the Quadro card and trying out a few different versions. They latest drivers are not necessarily the "best" drivers.

I would guess to think that Max 9 is a favorite for many of the older generation of users. That was one of the last mature releases of Max before they started reworking the core program over the next 5 years. I think that with 2016, you can really start to feel the maturation process of Max and it's really starting to hit it's stride now. I really enjoy working with 2016 right now.
                    Yes......I'm getting the performance lag in 2015 with regards to Editable Poly objects. As for the DirectX 11 option......the problem I'm having are brief moments of intermittent screen freezing, just for a split second when rotating around objects, panning etc. It's feels like the video card is waiting for information but I do not have this problem with 9.

Comment

I have had that problem in the past. I haven't had it recently though in 2014+. I'm pretty sure that problem was due to video card drivers.

I will dig through my links to see if I can find one relating to that issue, maybe there is something I'm forgetting.
                      Midwest Studios

Comment

Working...
                      X