xfrog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xfrog

I thought I'd take a look at xfrog for windows so I downloaded the trial copy and ran the setup executable. Nothing happened which is apparently the norm because their website gives vague instructions on how to install when that happens. It points you to a link that shows you how to run windows in safe mode to then get rid of viruses. When I emailed them about this, they responded that xfrog needed to be installed in safe mode. This was a red flag for me so I took it to our IT dept whose mission is to safeguard our system from the constant attack it is under. Their unanimous response was "Absolutely not!".

So I have to wonder what sort of coding requires a safe mode install where no other software requires that. Is it just amateur coding? Lazy coding? Or is there something that they want to put on your computer that you definitely don't want on it?
    Anyone take the leap and do the safe mode install of xfrog?
    We definitely will not be doing that here.
    mh

Not sure what the answer to that is but it's worth takngi a look at grow fx along the lines of what you're doing - similar functionality if not slightly more. Xfrog's library is damn impressive though.

Comment

might be worth looking at plantfactory

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/plant_factory/

Nowhere near as good a library, but it's basically xfrog 2.0 in how it works.

Comment

I recently had the same issue and I never found a solution.
        Originally posted by mikeh View Post
        I thought I'd take a look at xfrog for windows so I downloaded the trial copy and ran the setup executable. Nothing happened which is apparently the norm because their website gives vague instructions on how to install when that happens. It points you to a link that shows you how to run windows in safe mode to then get rid of viruses. When I emailed them about this, they responded that xfrog needed to be installed in safe mode. This was a red flag for me so I took it to our IT dept whose mission is to safeguard our system from the constant attack it is under. Their unanimous response was "Absolutely not!".

So I have to wonder what sort of coding requires a safe mode install where no other software requires that. Is it just amateur coding? Lazy coding? Or is there something that they want to put on your computer that you definitely don't want on it?
        Anyone take the leap and do the safe mode install of xfrog?
        We definitely will not be doing that here.
        mh
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Neilg View Post
          might be worth looking at plantfactory

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/plant_factory/

Nowhere near as good a library, but it's basically xfrog 2.0 in how it works.
          would you recommend plantfactory over growfx?

I've been eyeing vegetation software forever, still haven't decided on an app to invest in.
          Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

E-on software had dreadful customer support and as far as I know they were bought out recently? Not sure if that'll have an effect on development.

Comment

Don't forget about Speedtree.

I use growfx if I can't find the plant or tree in the xfrog/evermotion/.. libraries. The integration with 3DSmax is just great.
              A.

---------------------
              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

here is a site that lists and compares some of the 3d tree and plant modeling software.

http://www.treegenerator.com/compare.htm

mh

Comment

Working...
                X