Promise of more work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promise of more work

If I had a dollar for everytime I heard something like this, I would be a wealthy man.

"Our main 3D Designer is no longer with our company, so I imagine there is an opportunity for us to send you a lot more work. Please consider that when pricing this out."

I thought it would make some of you smile.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
    :- ) Sure did
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
      :- ) Sure did
      sales 101, but just sounds slimy.

Bobby Parker www.bobby-parker.com
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Did you tell them your prices are not based on "future" premise.
        Dmitry Vinnik
        Silhouette Images Inc.
        ShowReel:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

No, but I told him that I have several bids out, awaiting approval, so if he wants to proceed he needs to sign and send me a deposit as soon as possible. I didn't acknowledge his sales 101 comment.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
            If I had a dollar for everytime I heard something like this, I would be a wealthy man.

"Our main 3D Designer is no longer with our company, so I imagine there is an opportunity for us to send you a lot more work. Please consider that when pricing this out."

give them a coffee shop style loyalty card - commission 9 renders get the 10th free.
            www.peterguthrie.net
            www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
            www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

Everybody is using the same speech....I had one of those yesterday.
              show me the money!!

Comment

Loyalty card, good idea. I wouldn't do free, however, a discount would work. You know, play their game and mark each one up a percent and discount 10% on the 10th one. Bobby Parker www.bobby-parker.com
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

yeah thats very common statement here too.

Hey, i now have a client who ordered 30 A4/300dpi interior renders. In the middle of the work they decided they want A3 sizes.
                  They were really pissed off with me when i said i will have to ask for additional money.
                  Apparently their suppliers dont make any problems when they ask for bigger sizes.
                  I tried to explain that for large size renders i woudl need to redo loads of textures, the renderign woudl take a lot longer and all that....NO....i was the bad capitalist swine thats refusing their small request trying to make money on everything.
                  In the end i just took it to PS and enlarged the whole damn thing and they were fine with it.

Mind you, the textures theyre sending me to use on their products are freaking small even for A4...

On some people i just give up
                  Martin
                  http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Most don't understand what it takes.
                    Bobby Parker
                    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

you are preaching to the choir my friend. :/

Comment

I won't name names (obviously!) but we had an agency recently plead for us to drop our rates for a project as the client wasn't 100% sure about the route they'd signed off on (!?), however if the initial project went well, then there would be 5, 10, 20+ more images in the same campaign and we could charge these at our normal rate.

We reluctantly agreed but fortunately the initial image(s) went down really well and the client signed off on a further 10 images. We costed accordingly and the agency came back in a panic saying that we had to keep our costs the same as the first treatment, because how could they explain to the client that everything was now more expensive?

That was fun!
                        MDI Digital
                        moonjam

Comment

Originally posted by AJ Jefferies View Post
                          We costed accordingly and the agency came back in a panic saying that we had to keep our costs the same as the first treatment, because how could they explain to the client that everything was now more expensive?
                          Just brilliant.

Like everyone else I get these requests as well, mostly for architect's proposals to clients. Since they are doing it basically out of pocket they ask me to do a rendering on the cheap for them with the promise of a future full rendering for the project if they are awarded it. So they want me to absorb some of the cost on the initial rendering for the promise of possibly getting another rendering down the line for a couple thousand $. Meanwhile, if they get awarded the project they get hundreds of thousands or millions of $ in fees. Their risk/reward payoff is much, much greater. I usually kindly explain this to them and it gets sorted out, mostly based on prior projects together, not future ones.
                          www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Lol you guys crack me up....

Anytime there is this whole do for less now and get more later talk, it should be alarm n1 to refuse.

What I do is I let them do the talking:

Always in writing so you have shit to back you up on who said what.
                            If they want higher res you ask - simple resize or actual upres?
                            Simple resize is quick but shit, they come back for upres, that's when you talk additional cost.
                            Often I get clients just tell me how much they have $ wise for work, and I tell them what I can do.

No surprises.
                            Dmitry Vinnik
                            Silhouette Images Inc.
                            ShowReel:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                            https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

They try to make us think that we have skin in the game, when we don't. Rule of thumb is when they complain about money they'll be hard to please, so it's a losing proposition.
                              Bobby Parker
                              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X