Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhino to Max workflow?

Hi all

Very old threads are suggesting Rhino > dwg and then import the dwg into Max is the best workflow. Any newer info on this?

Dwg and 3ds works, I was just wondering if anybody has a "best method" kind of thing that ideally will keep all UVs and bring in the textures etc (keeping in mind I may have to go through a few design iterations by re-exporting the Rhino files
    Last edited by Morne; 06-11-2015, 02:53 AM.
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Originally posted by Morne View Post
    Hi all

Very old threads are suggesting Rhino > dwg and then import the dwg into Max is the best workflow. Any newer info on this?

Dwg and 3ds works, I was just wondering if anybody has a "best method" kind of thing that ideally will keep all UVs and bring in the textures etc (keeping in mind I may have to go through a few design iterations by re-exporting the Rhino files
    I have different methodologies, it all depends on the geometry. Although I only had to use the geometry and no UVs, so I have no experience with this.

You might take a look at http://www.npowersoftware.com/NewPow...sOverview.html
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Yes I know about the translator but I don't need it that often to justify the cost. So general import and export only (or free plugin)
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

It's been a while since I've had to use it but I'm fairly certain Max can import STEP or IGES files natively almost perfectly. In fact, I think it actually uses the npower translator?
        MDI Digital
        moonjam

Comment

Max 2016 has both methods of import now. Body objects ( or nPower translator build in) or a new import method, that converts to mesh and lets you select with a slider the quality of your import. Both in the same import dialog box. The new importer does a great job. saved me hours and hours in the last months..
          So Rhino, export to step is one avenue.
          Rhino also does a great job exporting FBX.
          Haven't used DWG export for a while from Rhino, always had better results with other file formats.
          I never tried to import the UV's however, always just geometry.

Bottom line is that the job can be done without plugins! (you can always get them if you want,,)
          Our plugins are accumulating dust somewhere, since quite a few years, 3dsMax import capabilities are great, and Rhino is quite flexible in export options.
          Last edited by thablanch; 06-11-2015, 06:10 AM.
          Alain Blanchette
          www.pixistudio.com

Comment

OBJ is getting me what I need
            Kind Regards,
            Morne

Comment

With UV's following ?

Great!
              Alain Blanchette
              www.pixistudio.com

Comment

i've been liking dxf out of rhino. its normally 10x the size of dwg, but i had some issues with that (though that may have been 3dsmax to rhino).

dxf gives you layers, simple format that not much can go too wrong.

I guess this means you deal with your meshing at export stage instead on in max.

I should probably try out step and iges in the new max.

Comment

Working...
                X