Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSD drives

Hi,
    I just installed a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB on my laptop to replace the C: Drive and I was wondering if it makes sense to have another one for assets and project files. is Anybody here is using those drives for data...(a lot writing and saving).
    the prices of SSD went down significantly in the last 6 months and the quality and life time improvements went up as well....any suggestions?

Thanks,

Fernando
    show me the money!!

are you running it local or over the network?

if its just local then ssd makes sense. if your over network it less so unless you have 10gbit or more.

Comment

I'm running local because my laptop has the same drive letters as my network so I don't have to re-path everything when I work anywhere out of my office(I work with a lot xrefs, etc.). My question was oriented to the myth or fact that the life of those drives are limited to times you read or write information on them....Assets work fine because they are very static information but projects have so many files being rewritten all the time.
      Last edited by flino2004; 16-11-2015, 10:17 PM.
      show me the money!!

Comment

I don't think i would worry about that too much.

I believe thats more a write thing, and even if you run out of writes you can still read. but i've never seen that.

I have bricked a ocz vector drive by not shutting down properly after a crash (well i assume it was that).

so getting one with power fail protection would be worth it if your worried about that.

but really you should have backup's and its not like hard drives don't die.

Comment

I installed another SSD drive....would see if really last for long time..... at least is nice to load everything fast
          show me the money!!

Comment

I threw in a 1TB one into my recent build as the C: Drive. What I do is use it for the current project(s) I am working on, and then when they are done I move them to local HDs for archiving/backup. That way I get good data transfer speed while actively working on the project and since I move everything afterwards I won't fill the thing up, or hopefully even close.

Just one way to do it...

-Alan

Comment

Working...
            X