Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WD EX2 NAS with WD Green drives for work server and library?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WD EX2 NAS with WD Green drives for work server and library?

Hi all

What do you guys think of the WD EX2 NAS enclosure, 2 X 4 TB WD Green drives? For project folders and asset library? (I can get it for a good deal, possibly even WD EX2100 with 2 X WD Green 4TB)
    Normally I would get Red drives, but the green ones are on special locally!

Yay or nay?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

they are painfully slow! and not reliable.
    Surrealismo
    https://www.facebook.com/surrrealismo

Comment

I don't know the enclosure but I for sure wouldn't use WD Green in a raid, they are not made for that at all, as a minimum you need WD Red which are made specifically for raid.
      www.suurland.com
      www.cg-source.com
      www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

Originally posted by leo.surrealismo View Post
        they are painfully slow! and not reliable.
        I read up about this and they are fine if you use it properly. People that find it slow are apparently the ones connecting it to a 10/100 switch, or trying to push the data over it's "cloud" feature, instead of just doing a normal copy over a 1gig switch..... Apparently.
        I do believe this as I saw the tests in a review and the HUGE difference the network switch makes.

Originally posted by suurland View Post
        I don't know the enclosure but I for sure wouldn't use WD Green in a raid, they are not made for that at all, as a minimum you need WD Red which are made specifically for raid.
        Yes I saw that only afterwards. I just saw that green drives are more power friendly but after some further investigation found that they suck for anything other than archive. Also, seems they are getting faced out as it's features are now being "incorporated" into the Blue range. http://www.wdc.com/en/products/produ...mpaign=product

Hoping I can get some kind of good deal somewhere over this Black Friday Cyber Monday weekend. I would love a Synology, but my budget is a bit tight for that
        Kind Regards,
        Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
          Hoping I can get some kind of good deal somewhere over this Black Friday Cyber Monday weekend. I would love a Synology, but my budget is a bit tight for that
          I can recommend Synology, I have two of them, one with 2 disk in raid 1 and one with 5 disk in raid 5, they both run at around 70-100mb/s so it's maxing out my LAN.

/Thomas
          www.suurland.com
          www.cg-source.com
          www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

Working...
          X