Object renaming in 3dsmax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Object renaming in 3dsmax

OK so here is my problem, Im importing solidworks and step and such files which for the most part is working ok except for all the parts are grouped with a helper. Normally thats not a problem but the helper has the correct name for the part but the actual object has just a generic name like "solid001". All these nested groups drive my OCD nuts and what I would like to find is a script that will nuke the group but assign the group name to the object that was inside of it. For me to do this manually is not an option as Im dealing with mechanical assemblies with several hundred parts to them.

*fingers crossed someone has or knows of a solution*

Cheers,

-dave
    Cheers,
    -dave
    ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Not sure if this will help but if you go Tools - New Scene Explorer, you can select and rename multiple objects with each object being appended a number OCDObject002 for example.
    James Hall
    Technical Director
    New Zealand
    www.jhall.nz

Comment

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/sc...versal-renamer

Comment

Thanks guys, I made a sort of screen shot of what Im looking to do but will check the script that you posted Travis.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax rename.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	859105

Cheers,

-dave
        Cheers,
        -dave
        ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Working...
        X