a couple of very interesting plugins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a couple of very interesting plugins.

these both tread on phoenix's feet a bit, so hopefully its not a faux pas discussing them here:

first is BulletFx..

this one is a beast.. does everything from fluids, PBD sand /granular stuff, inflatables, FEM softbodies, rigid bodies, cloth, all unified and running, gpu accelerated, on bullet solver. its like a big chunk of houdini in max.

however for my tastes, the interface is really, really too complex and unituitive to tweak and set up. and the documentiation limited to a few videos. its easy to tweak a wrong value and lock it up.

if he (Ben) can sort out the interface to a more "3dsmax" level and less "houdini without the node editor" it could be a killer fixer-upper for max's poorly neglected dynamics.

there is a free demo here:

http://www.alphavfx.com/bulletfx.html

and the guy is quite responsive to emails.

second, and equally interesting is Lucid.

https://ephere.com/plugins/autodesk/max/lucid/

covers most of the same bases as BulletFx, but currently much more limited (its in betatesting)

interesting because its based on nvidia's amazing new Flex realtime particle based dynamics system, so in theory, should be much faster than other older solvers, and runs almost entirely on gpu.

unfortunately thats also its biggest weakness, since he (Marcel, very nice guy) is limited by the capabilities of a system not currently designed for offline high detail work.

my experience is that the interface is very nice, and you can get results very fast. but

a) as you crank the detail, it slows drastically
    b) it has a mystery particle limit around 1.3 million particles. you can set it higher, but despite having loads of gpu ram free, it crashes the gpu driver. this is something Marcel obviously wishes to address but is dependent on nvidia for updates to Flex.
    c) it has various other limitations that may well be eased with flex updates ( FE. global setting for viscosity, rather than per fluid, or variable within a fluid. as with bulletfx. )

tldr, feels like a cool toy that could become a proper tool if nvidia choose to allow it.

i like that people are trying to fill the gaps autodesk cant be bothered to fill.
    Last edited by super gnu; 30-12-2015, 05:32 PM.

iv been watching both of these very closely but not decided which one to jump into given the lack of documenttation and a niggling feeling that it might just dissapear overnight like many max plugins.
    can a lot of these things be done (albeit slower) in TP6 which has attractive subscription prices

Comment

I bought a license of Lucid after using the demo and going through the tutorials but its a piece of shit. Its not ready to be sold yet
      very buggy, unreliable, very limited when you need something more detailed. I was after soft body stuff and a better way of doing cloth.

About to jump into the new version of Bullet....

Comment

ahaha.. i just tried the new version of bullet.

uninstaller for old version does not work

new version installs in the wrong folder for max 2016 (it puts it in the programfiles x86 folder)

after manually removing bulletfx 3, and manually moving the bulletfx 4 files, it appears in max.

first effort: create particle emitter, set to granular, sim, max crash to desktop.

second effort: create particle emitter, set to granular, link to emitter geometry, sim, max locks up permanently.

so id say it shares some issues with lucid.

at least ben at alpha seems to have done some work simplifying the interface. it was a rats nest before.

he's adding features like mad, but none of them seem to work out of the box.

id suggest he needs go get some serious betatesting done before releasing a demo or people will run a mile!

and im not sure what is going on with the fluid /foam renders on his site. they look really wierd.

Comment

hmm thats no good thanks for the heads up
          (was just about to install bullet....)

the 'vray compatible' stuff does look very unusual in bullet demo video i agree....
          i should have just taught myself houdini fem / softbody stuff in the time i wasted on lucid but i desperately wanted to stay within max for simplicities sake

Comment

after the initial headsup i realised i was being a bit silly with the installation.. it does actually give you the option to choose the install folder.. it just defaults to the wrong one.

however the granular solver still seems broken, in max 2016 at least.

flip fluids seem to work, but seem to lack any jitter or randomisation to particle birth position/velocity, so produce quite a griddy effect in my early tests.

rigid bodies seem a bit flaky, although ive not done much testing.. viewport playback issues. and non-sticky settings.

FEM stuff is too limited to test in the demo.. im waiting for my license ( yes i bought it when bulletfx 3 came out.. i was sure it would rapidly improve... the interface is certainly much better in v4, although it needs a few months of really intense beta testing)

i hope my investment will be justified one day.. at the moment i cannot imagine using it on any kind of project.

Comment

Working...
            X