max 2016 layer manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• max 2016 layer manager

so I used to be able to double click a layer and rename it (max 2012) - now in 2016 I don't have that ability and when I right click on a layer that has objects in it I can't rename it - soooooo I have to create a new layer, name that, then put the layer I want to rename into the new layer...... Seems about as ass backwards as it could possibly get

just want to make sure I'm not missing something - is this the only way to effectively rename an active layer?

The 'new' thing in UI (which is a major step backward imho) is to double click it, but hold the 2nd click. If you hold it a sec, then it becomes renamable. Silly.

Comment

Originally posted by rusteberg View Post
      so I used to be able to double click a layer and rename it (max 2012) - now in 2016 I don't have that ability and when I right click on a layer that has objects in it I can't rename it - soooooo I have to create a new layer, name that, then put the layer I want to rename into the new layer...... Seems about as ass backwards as it could possibly get

just want to make sure I'm not missing something - is this the only way to effectively rename an active layer?
      The layermanager becomes nearly unuseable... I go with the nlm2 still the nlm3 shows up!

Greets
      Greets Phil
      -----------------------
      WS
      DUAL E5-2683 V3 28c/56t @2,6Ghz
      64GB Ram
      ASUS ROG STRIX OC 1080ti
      PALIT SUPER JETSTREAM 780ti

Node
      I7 2600K @4,40GHZ,
      32GB RAM

Comment

I can rename layer with object in it.
        You probably selected layer and objects in that layer since now double clicking layer is Select Children(like you do in viewport).

In 2015, SE allow user rename layer and object at the same time.
        That creates a lot anger because some users did not realize that they had also selected objects and saw all their object had been changed.
        To prevent that, 2016 SE does not allow user rename layer when you select layer and object at the same time.

Comment

whatever..... i guess i'm just used to having a giant autodesk cock slap me upside the head every now and then to show me who's boss.....

Comment

Originally posted by Deflaminis View Post
            The 'new' thing in UI (which is a major step backward imho) is to double click it, but hold the 2nd click. If you hold it a sec, then it becomes renamable. Silly.
            I think it's just a slower double click - holding it has nothing to do with it. It's very similar to trying to rename something in windows explorer: double clicking opens a file, slower double clicking allows you to rename it. It seems to work just fine for me.
            www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

.... I had select children ticked on - so that's why I couldn't rename a layer whenever I selected it the "slow" way because it was selecting everything in the layer..... I was getting very frustrated because of that

Comment

I think most would agree that the layer manager sucks. In 2015 it could drive you to suicide because of how it worked, combined with bugs. It works better in 2016.

In general I stay away from Autodesk products. I got deep into 3dsmax before I realised that, but thats the exception. They might have some nice software, but they have terrible (non-existent) support, don`t listen to their user base, and can kill a fine product without a minutes notice. The should learn from other companies in the industry, but they never will.

Comment

Originally posted by hardrock_ram View Post
                  I think most would agree that the layer manager sucks. In 2015 it could drive you to suicide because of how it worked, combined with bugs. It works better in 2016.

In general I stay away from Autodesk products. I got deep into 3dsmax before I realised that, but thats the exception. They might have some nice software, but they have terrible (non-existent) support, don`t listen to their user base, and can kill a fine product without a minutes notice. The should learn from other companies in the industry, but they never will.
                  This is an interesting point of view, and probably I will not make you change your mind
                  I would like to state however that every new feature in 2015/2016 is directly related to initiatives like uservoice; so your vote is important http://3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com/f...ature-requests
                  Autodesk 3dsMax team is listening, taking your suggestion/bug fixes request in consideration.
                  Also, sent your reports when you have an issue
                  In fact, the MCG was the highest voted point, xref renovations, and things you see in 2016 ( like the layer manager) is done based on customers requests.

And about killing a product; let's just say it this way, they have a business to run, and if a product is not profitable enough, even if you love it very very much, well it will go away.
                  Other companies would/will do the same I guess...
                  Alain Blanchette
                  www.pixistudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by thablanch View Post
                    This is an interesting point of view, and probably I will not make you change your mind
                    I would like to state however that every new feature in 2015/2016 is directly related to initiatives like uservoice; so your vote is important http://3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com/f...ature-requests
                    Autodesk 3dsMax team is listening, taking your suggestion/bug fixes request in consideration.
                    In fact, the MCG was the highest voted point, xref renovations, and things you see in 2016 ( like the layer manager) is done based on customers requests.

And about killing a product; let's just say it this way, they have a business to run, and if a product is not profitable enough, even if you love it very very much, well it will go away.
                    Other companies would/will do the same I guess...
                    *3dsmax 2016 was an exception - I think most or all of the new features where useful. And not only that, features like the MCG can take the program to whole new levels.
                    We will see if it holds up. If it does its a whole new direction from their part.

*Redoing the layer manager might have been a customer request, but it became worse, which I guess was not what people hoped for ...

*About killing a product - Yes, they have a business to run, but if you make (or buy) a "big" product and then kill it a few years later, people are going to ask question about your commitment to any of your product. That is not good for business.

Comment

Originally posted by thablanch View Post
                      every new feature in 2015/2016 is directly related to initiatives like uservoice; so your vote is important http://3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com/f...ature-requests
                      what is MCG?

i breifly looked through the uservoice link you posted and can see why the program is more bloated than ever before..... all i want is the 2009 version with up to date drivers...sigh.....

Comment

Originally posted by rusteberg View Post
                        what is MCG?

i breifly looked through the uservoice link you posted and can see why the program is more bloated than ever before..... all i want is the 2009 version with up to date drivers...sigh.....
                        MCG is the nodal system that allows you to create modifiers, base objects, utilities... A 'User friendly scripting system' quite an amazing potential..
                        http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/chris...reation-graphs..
                        Alain Blanchette
                        www.pixistudio.com

Comment

The main problem of new Layer Manager is coming from that 3ds Max dev had to listen two different groups.
                          Many Outliner users asked to make it like Outliner.
                          So.. dev kinda mixed Outliner and Layer Manager.
                          Then it broke some workflow for both groups.

Also... people thought that making nested layer was simple job.
                          But, it brings a whole bunch of unexpected problems.

Yes, it still have some rough edges in 2016.
                          But, I think there are more pros than cons compare to old layer manager.

BTW, as Alain mentioned, user voice actually has very big influence for new features.
                          I cannot say everything, but most new features are coming from the vote.

Comment

Originally posted by gandhics View Post
                            BTW, as Alain mentioned, user voice actually has very big influence for new features.
                            I cannot say everything, but most new features are coming from the vote.
                            Yes, but this is something that is pretty new. 3dsmax had quite a few years where almost all the new features where totally useless. People excused it by saying that it takes so little effort to make them, but if you add them all together its quite extensive. Besides it bloats the program and raises the bar for beginners who have to navigate through the mess and figure out what is what. They could instead used that time to improve existing features.

Comment

Originally posted by hardrock_ram View Post
                              Yes, but this is something that is pretty new. 3dsmax had quite a few years where almost all the new features where totally useless. People excused it by saying that it takes so little effort to make them, but if you add them all together its quite extensive. Besides it bloats the program and raises the bar for beginners who have to navigate through the mess and figure out what is what. They could instead used that time to improve existing features.
                              Since the last 3 years, there was some great initiatives from Autodesk, letting the 3dsMax team do their job. Listening to the user voice, to the users, and having a vision towards where the software is going. Lots of great new talented people on the team, and I really hope it will continue this way in the next years.
                              Alain Blanchette
                              www.pixistudio.com

Comment

Working...
                              X