Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Architectural Rendering a Thing of the Past?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Architectural Rendering a Thing of the Past?

Another of those articles.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/archi...may?trk=v-feed

what do you think?
    show me the money!!

I think he is not quite sure what he wants to say. First he says that architectural renderings are going the way of the dodo because X. Than brings up VR which is just another form of rendering followed by the sentence:
    "Sure, the quality is not even closely comparable. And for that reason, we will always have some renderings, just like we will always have some hand sketches." and than saying that they they don't have time and money for renderings at a certain phase of the project.
    Cheers,
    Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

An Architect or designer for what they need is a simple way to visualize the project... and they can produce it in house with Revit and cheap close enough engines and not much experience.
      the renderings that you need to sell your projects well may be different depending on your target. client, city, neighborhood, buyers, etc need to see the same project from different point of view in some or most of the cases.
      the quality is also important. some architect/ designer for budget think that everybody can read the project thru their eyes, using those close enough renderings.
      I designed a building and I presented to the client a detailed white model for the 1st meeting and he asked if the building is going to be white....wtf?
      on the other hand i presented a project with materials and colors and one of the clients was so focus on one color that he didn't pay attention much on the shapes and forms of the building and keep going back to the colors. ( he was daltonic by the way)

a lot speculation, would see how market is in the next years specially with VR
      show me the money!!

Comment

His reasoning behind rendering going away is being rendering still images is time consuming and only provides one view, whereas vr gives you so much more.

I dont think anyone has ever told him how long it takes to get 3d into a real time engine...

Comment

Just like how 3d renderings replaced watercolors. Now we're moving into another dimension

As others are mentioning, it's not that you remove having to render. You still have to bake lighting in real time engines for VR experiences. Eventually I totally see VR taking over as the main tool for archviz. It's really going to depend on what kind of traction VR has once released and if it's adopted quickly and takes over.

I've seen success in using VR for making design decisions with clients. So it certainly has the potential as a design aide. We just need more efficient tools for iterating while maintaining high visual quality. I'm personally interested at the moment in workflows that allow you to bridge still renderings and realtime VR experiences; since we're in an early transitional state with VR. I'll continue to 3d model in max, but ideally in the end we'll be doing all the look dev in a realtime engine. Waiting for Vray to release their RT engine for Unity3d ??????? c'mooooonn. Any sort of tool that could bridge Vray into a realtime engine would be awesome. Vlado what are you cooking up!
          Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

Maybe this article is an infomercial for IrisVR....they say is one click VR solution for Revit, Sketchup and something else....and you could use their mobile viewer for Vray panoramas
            I don't have Oculus Rift to try it.
            show me the money!!

Comment

Originally posted by flino2004 View Post
              Maybe this article is an infomercial for IrisVR....they say is one click VR solution for Revit, Sketchup and something else....and you could use their mobile viewer for Vray panoramas
              I don't have Oculus Rift to try it.
              From what I've seen from them in videos - it's one click in the the sense that it just brings geometry into a game engine. But it looks horrible.
              Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

Facebook, Samsung, Apple, Google, all have something on the market or something being developed. All that means to me is, there is going to be a big demand for people who can built a very realistic virtual environment, which is what we do. It might take a few years of everyone producing crap before they want more and realize that they don't have the talent in-house, so they hire someone who specializes in it. I get calls all the time from people who want to be better than their competitors.
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com
                e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

their target is VR for early stage of the design process. if I could see my Sketchup model in VR to validate my design would be great.
                  show me the money!!

Comment

"the vast amount of rendering could be a sign that we may not be doing it much longer."

Is it me or this phrase has no sense?

In any case, it's not a mystery that BIM is the future (BIM to render). But I don't see it happening in the next 5 years.
                    In 10, maybe. Why not...?
                    Guido.

Comment

No.

(10 character min.)

Comment

Viewing images is at simple as it gets and that won't ever go away.an image in its simplicity can express more than an entire movie if done right
                        admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
                        Mastering CGI
                        CGSociety Folio
                        CREAM Studios
                        Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

that guy is an uneducated idiot and the article is clickbait

Comment

Like almost every new thing, the novelty will wear off. The iPad didn't kill the book, the digital camera didn't kill the photographer, nor will VR kill the still image.
                            Bobby Parker
                            www.bobby-parker.com
                            e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                            phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                            • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                            • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                            • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                              Like almost every new thing, the novelty will wear off. The iPad didn't kill the book, the digital camera didn't kill the photographer, nor will VR kill the still image.
                              I agree......I think VR is the wave of the future for certain applications but not for all. For example, City agencies such as your local building and planning departments are starting to demand, as I call them, 3D Photo-simulations. This is where we composite the 3D rendering into the photograph of the proposed building site. They like to see the visual impact of the project before construction. In my area, this is mandatory which is good for us guys and more city agencies are adopting this policy. You can't do that with VR. In addition, developers love to have high quality, photo-real 3d images for sales and marketing. VR has a place but I do not see it becoming a means to an end........then again, I could be wrong. I was once before.
                              Scott.

Comment

Working...
                              X