Schedule upon deposit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schedule upon deposit

Another one of the business side questions. Typically, I don't schedule a project until I get the deposit. Is this normal protocol, or am I being difficult?

Little story: a few years ago I had someone call, late one Friday, about a project he needed first thing Monday. I gave my quote, told them it's a little higher than normal because I'll be spending my weekend working, and he agreed. I asked for my deposit and he said that the project is fast track and he can't get a deposit from his client until Monday. After emails back and forth of him trying to convince me to trust him, we left it at that; I guess he assumed I started work as he wanted, which I didn't due to no deposit. Monday morning I emailed him asking if he'll get the deposit and he said, his client decided to pull the plug shortly after we talked on Friday. I could have busted my butt working all weekend just to find out Monday that it was done in vain.

This is why I don't schedule until I get a deposit and its proved itself many times since then. How do you guys handle schedules? Do you require a deposit before you schedule, or before you start?
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

I agree 100% Bobby. It's not being difficult, it's being smart

No deposit = No work

Comment

Well, I don't work without a deposit, but what about not scheduling without a deposit? I am usually 2-3 week out, so if someone wants me to schedule their project, I ask for the deposit. They ask, when can I start, and I give them a date. However, I tell them that I can't schedule their project until I receive the deposit. I never have a problem with it, however, I don't want to be working in a silo and assume that, that is typical protocol.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Bobby,

You are perfectly justified not scheduling the job before you receive a deposit from the client. I do not schedule a job until a contract is signed and money is sent. This way I know my client is committed. It also weeds out the people you do not wish to deal with in the first place.

Scott.

Comment

Good! I am glad I am not just a jerk
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro