Chair, posture, back problems etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bardo View Post
    You're right about the precision...but I'm one of these guys here that changing mouse to pen has a great useful impact on health of my wrist & hand.
    I suggest you to persist until it became a routine...once you go pen...you'll never go back!!!

The first weeks you'll feel that the hand is more relaxed and the shoulder muscles start working and they'll hurt a bit (because unused)...but then you'll never feel any pains anymore... it was a big change..at least..for me
    Well this thread has got me convinced, more or less, I'm thinking of buying a cintiq though. I'm trying to discuss the pros and cons in this thread here. So if one is willing..
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

I use two wacom pen device.
      One at work and one at home for my hobbies.

At work I use a cheap Wacom Pen&Touch (the touch is useless for me).
      I'm not a 2D artist and surely I don't paint anything during my daily job so I use it as mouse replacer.
      For this task I think it's good and if you don't want to waste money I think it's a good starting device.

At home I have an Intuos 3 (actually it was a Christmas present for my wife...but she never used it...so.. ).
      It's quite big as mouse replacer and one of these days I think I'll change with something more handy.

They're quite old and today the comparable products are Intuos (for Pen&Touch) and Intuos Pro (for Intuos 3).

I hope Wacom will send me some $$$ commissions when you'll buy one of them...

Comment

For folks that use a wacom, don't you still need the keyboard? My huge issue with being able to use a wacom instead of a mouse is that I'm left handed. Somehow I learned to use a mouse really well with my right hand, but I can't use a wacom with my right hand.. so it botches everything up.

As for pain issues. I do get some numbness/tingling in my left hand which hovers over the keyboard. More likely it's not doing anything while I'm working with the mouse and it's bent, elbow sitting on the desk. But it'll also feel pressed into the desk.

I try to take breaks and stretch my arms, wrists, fingers. If only the Apple watch stand goals were more accurate! Also been running more seriously for overall fitness.
        Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

Originally posted by cheerioboy View Post
          For folks that use a wacom, don't you still need the keyboard? My huge issue with being able to use a wacom instead of a mouse is that I'm left handed. Somehow I learned to use a mouse really well with my right hand, but I can't use a wacom with my right hand.. so it botches everything up.

As for pain issues. I do get some numbness/tingling in my left hand which hovers over the keyboard. More likely it's not doing anything while I'm working with the mouse and it's bent, elbow sitting on the desk. But it'll also feel pressed into the desk.

I try to take breaks and stretch my arms, wrists, fingers. If only the Apple watch stand goals were more accurate! Also been running more seriously for overall fitness.
          That's my big question too, keyboard placement/usage when you use a cintiq.
          A.

---------------------
          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

About the use of a pen together a keyboard I can say that the Pen&Touch (A5 size) is good because I can put beside the keyboard and it occupies more or less the same desk space of a mouse (and his movments).

if you go to upper size you'll go in trouble using keyboard...ad least it's like this for me.
            The new Intuos Pro has less border than mine and it helps to don't waste space... but I think it doesn't solve the "problem".

My consideration was to have the shoulders aligned with the keyboard&monitor to maintain the upper body simmetry and the small size of a pen device is necessary for this.
            If you are a digital painter I think it's less a problem because using the Intuos Pro buttons and ring you can select the painter tools and the bigger size helps you to have more precision and pressure levels.

Comment

My commute is 3 hours per day and I've a bad lo-back. My boss just bought me an Aeron chair, and one of these bad boys, problem solved, at least for me.

Comment

Originally posted by voltron7 View Post
                My commute is 3 hours per day and I've a bad lo-back. My boss just bought me an Aeron chair, and one of these bad boys, problem solved, at least for me.
                Been looking at similar products myself, how do you find that one? any good? (the ergotron I mean)

Comment

It exceeds my expectations, after about 3 months of use. I have it setup with (2) Dell U2415. I can raise/lower it with one hand, instantly. You can adjust the monitors height independently of the keyboard tray. We bought the extra large tray, and now I have room for my 18" Bluetooth keyboard, MX Revolution mouse, and my WiFi Spacemouse. There is a slight bounce if you really hammer on the keyboard, but I don't, so no problem. My boss loves it and loves how it looks, too. (He is very particular about how the studio looks.) Now, I want one for home...

Comment

I work from home, where I have two kids, cat and wife all in my way. They make me get up and walk around a lot! this can be annoying, but I think it also helps to break the 12 hour sitting period enough that I don't notice any tiredness or strain. I often have to fire off a render and leave for some time then come back, where normally at the office I would just sit and wait for the render (such a waste of time)
                    Dmitry Vinnik
                    Silhouette Images Inc.
                    ShowReel:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Got the solution to all our problems right here (only $6570):

I wonder if our renders will go faster...
                      Last edited by Morne; 02-04-2016, 06:09 AM.
                      Kind Regards,
                      Morne

Comment

Ahahah

I just wanted to give you guys update, if anyone else experiencing similar problems.

First signs.

That you may/are suffering to nerve related injury.

Numbness of extremities like fingers on left/right hand, dryness, pruned tips of the fingers, dry mouth even if you are drinking enough water, sharp pain, usually in thumb root, elbow, soreness when you stretch your hand and make movements with hands, cramps, sudden muscle jerks or any uncontrolled involuntary reaction, there are so many symptoms.

Problems usually originate from your neck through hands(neck, shoulder, elbow, wrist, palms and fingers) and they tend to translate to other places like mid back, front of the chest(collar bone, pecs) so they are hard to notice and pinpoint at first.

I do recommend first to go to doctor and figure out what is wrong with you or you can make everything worse by doing stuff on your own like i did and make it worse.

Reasons

Sitting long hours and relying on bones to hold your posture, heaving deformed spine, static compression in general(same position) and neck stress.

Since nerves go from neck to your hands usually it starts there that is why it's important to hold your neck straight as much as possible, ideally to follow S shape of the spine but it is hard when you are sitting long hours, good chair can help with proper posture but that is not everything... We slouch as our muscles are not developed enough to hold our upper body weight and end up in all sorts of strange unnatural positions we can place ourselves during long hours.

Prevention methods.

1st. To avoid further injury do not place your forearm on the edge of the desk or on door ledge(center console) in your car while driving, keep hand straight against forearm to avoid carpal tunnel pinching over keyboard. Keep your hands to yourselves in general

Do not put weight on elbow that is on hard surface(desk), at least avoid holding head on your hand/elbow, like when you are tired and changing position during long hours working, keep your back straight, neck leveled .

If you are unable to sit as you should and you are doing all things above you are showing first signs that you need to get up and stretch, make 15min break or finish for that day.

2nd. Ulnar nerve stretching and flossing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d85QKyWvrbI This shouldn't be done more than 3 times/week, even 2 times/week is enough, go easy on yourself.

3rd. Median Nerve stretching and flossing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeV9IhFFpEk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWAS25uPe9Y Same as above, no need to do it more as results can be counter productive.

4th. Do these stretches at least 3 times/week https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO3racIlTcg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6MwJhCA_x4 they look complicated at first but you will get used to it.

You can alternate between days(one for back, other for neck and shoulders). This is not YOGA but it have some elements(i guess if they didn't name it yoga no one would watch this) this is more like stuff from physical therapy.

5th. After few weeks to keep you muscles relaxed, well developed and sufficient to hold you properly in upright position, try doing some exercise.

As tambyra already recommended earlier good web pagehttp://www.pinkbike.com/news/relieve...yoga-2016.html this is gold and it helps to strengthen your back and posture muscles. It is easy to find enough sources online if you do not want to go to your local yoga classes.

Swimming. running or any other light activity, without too much stress on your joints, spine, muscles will be great.

6th. Take zinc(with c vitamine), b12, d3, calcium, they are important and will help you maintain nerves.

7th. Get enough sleep and try changing your sleeping habits, sleep on your back or side, try not to squeeze pillows or place hands in awkward positions, of course proper bed and pillows are must.

8th. Do not sit more than 45min to 1 hour without making 5-10 min break with 15-20min break every few hours. Sitting more than 6 hours is crazy but sitting more than 8 is Kim Jong Un crazy.

9th. Good chair, massage and rest.

But first do not forget to go to your doctor and check with him what is going down. This is more or less based on my experience but i hope it will help someone.

Take care.

Comment

Mine is mostly lower back and these help for me:
                          http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/videos
                          Kind Regards,
                          Morne

Comment

Working...
                          X