360 youtube aftereffects post production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 360 youtube aftereffects post production

I am currently in the process of rendering a youtube 360 scene using the vray spherical camera at 360 FOV. I normally use camera data from 3dsmax and import into aftereffects. I want to be able to add things like lens flares in aftereffects but it's tricky as aftereffects doesn't have a spherical camera. Is there a way to do this so that aftereffects understands the camera position when using a spherical camera from vray ?
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

You will need plugin for that: http://www.mettle.com/product/skybox/

https://www.rocketstock.com/blog/cre...video-effects/
    Luke Szeflinski
    :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

Have you done any tests Steve?

I tried Youtube 360 a few months ago but gave up because the video quality was so bad. The test is below if you're interested.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cudC2w31cHA
      Last edited by DanielBrew; 01-04-2016, 03:05 AM. Reason: Made link more visible
      Dan Brew

Comment

I had similar results when exporting the movie with a VBR setting to 150 which is in the youtube guidelines. When I kept it at the default, it played back smoothly - also when rendered at 50fps.

Youtube isn't the best for viewing this type of content unfortunately.
        www.morphic.tv
        www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

It's because by default most people DON'T have super fast connections and Youtube starts streaming back the 360 videos in something stupid like 720 or 1080. It only starts making sense at 4K. Also, did you know you can upload 8K to youtube. Good luck rendering an 8K animation with a flimsy budget.
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

Does that include 8k for 360 movie files ?
            www.morphic.tv
            www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

I just saw they support 8K and didn't look into it further. I don't see why it wouldn't work for 360. The only difference between a normal file and a 360 file is the meta descriptor that says it's a 360 file.

The kind of people that will pay you for an 8K animation are the same kind of people that can afford the connection speed to play it back online. The rest will just stream at 720 by default and assume 8K is "bogus" :- )
              Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

I followed these instructions:
                https://support.google.com/youtube/a..._topic=2888648
                I rendered out at 8000x2000 sbs (4000x2000 for each eye) then used After Effects to distort to 3840x2160 top/bottom format.

You have to remember that even though mine was rendered at 4k per eye, a 90 degree FOV would only let you see 1000x600 which is never going to look great.
                Dan Brew

Comment

I was referring to an actual 8K video file that you upload. (not taking into account stereo)
                  Kind Regards,
                  Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
                    I was referring to an actual 8K video file that you upload. (not taking into account stereo)
                    Yeah I understand. 8k probably does work for 360 VR but that's a big ask for any render farm
                    Dan Brew

Comment

It also means nice early retirement for whoever owns that farm :- )
                      Kind Regards,
                      Morne

Comment

Thanks guys. I had already contacted the guys that produced sky box but wanted to find if there was any other solution. Seems that is the only one for aftereffects at the moment.

I'm currently rendering out to 4096x2048. The quality isn't fantastic but the client is the one that provided the criteria so I'm happy to go along with that currently. No doubt we will up the resolution for future projects. Luckily I have enough time to render at my home render farm.

I think in future I'll be looking into real time solutions like unity or the unreal engine. Things do seem to be heading that way.
                        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Working...
                        X