Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to open 32bit EXR in Photshop without alpha being applied.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to open 32bit EXR in Photshop without alpha being applied.

The title says it all actually. I have a 32 bit EXR with all my passes inside. When I open it in PS, the alpha is applied to all my passes and I don't want that. I already googled and it says that that is a limitation of photoshop...really???
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Photoshop also can't read multichannel EXRs. (it only reads the beauty and alpha) You need to split your channels to individual EXR, or you need a plugin for that like OpenEXR
    http://www.fnordware.com/ProEXR/
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

I have proEXR, so I can open all my channels no problem, but all the channels have the alpha applied.
      A.

---------------------
      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

That sounds more like a proEXR issue then.

Individual channels open fine in Photoshop and it even asks when opening to apply it or not
        Kind Regards,
        Morne

Comment

I can't remember the exact combination but try holding down alt or ctrl when you open the EXR from inside Photoshop, it should force ProEXR's options to open and you can change how it will open files by default.
          MDI Digital
          moonjam

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
            That sounds more like a proEXR issue then.

Individual channels open fine in Photoshop and it even asks when opening to apply it or not
            Hmm I don't get a dialogue asking me things it just opens. Maybe Photoshop is suppressing it or opening the exr with his own exr. I tried selecting the openEXR extension and opening it like that but to no avail :/
            A.

---------------------
            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by AJ Jefferies View Post
              I can't remember the exact combination but try holding down alt or ctrl when you open the EXR from inside Photoshop, it should force ProEXR's options to open and you can change how it will open files by default.
              Thank you I'll give that a try.
              A.

---------------------
              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by AJ Jefferies View Post
                OMG, you're a life saver. I wish I asked this question here 3 months sooner So holding down ALT does the trick. Thanks AJ!
                A.

---------------------
                www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Working...
                X