Max2016 physical camera - WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max2016 physical camera - WTF?

I haven't done a lot of CGI creation lately, so I am rather late to this party, especially since I got an email this morning to say that v2017 is out!

So, who has used a physical - ie, 'real life' - camera and had to set the sensitivity as electron volts or the shutter speed as portions of a frame???? Who did they leave in charge of those as default settings? Surely a more suitable starting point is an aperture of f5.6, a shutter speed of 1/200sec and an sensitivity of ISO 100.

C'mon Autodesk. You can do better than that.

Rant over...for now
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

Electron volts ??
    Jez

------------------------------------
    3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
    Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
    ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

Originally posted by JezUK View Post
      Electron volts ??
      I'm not exactly sure what it stands for (electron volts was the first thing that came to my head, but it could equally be exposure value, egg volume...). In any case, cameras use ISO rather than EV.
      Kind Regards,
      Richard Birket
      http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
        I'm not exactly sure what it stands for (electron volts was the first thing that came to my head, but it could equally be exposure value, egg volume...). In any case, cameras use ISO rather than EV.
        I use my EV button on my camera all the time. ^^

Comment

I'd love to know the rationale behind that too. The other thing is why shutter, aperture and ISO don't work in tandem with each other like on a real world camera. For instance, 1/100sec f/8 should be identical to 1/200 f/5.6, but it's not, at least what I experience. Very frustrating. I also wish that someone would make a camera that mimics a technical camera where you can swing both the front and back planes for proper perspective correction. Adjusting only the horizontal axis of the lens just doesn't cut it for furniture renders. But I digress.
          David Anderson
          www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
          Windows 10 Pro
          3ds Max 2023.3 Update
          V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
          Puget Systems
          TRX40 EATX
          AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
          2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
          128GB RAM