• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anobody attempted Archviz in Houdini?

Well the crazy question is in the title. I can't help it, I'm curious
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

They have a pretty impressive video on their home page. $695 for SketchUp Pro!
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Houdini can do a bunch of things that Sketchup can never even dream of.
      Last edited by Morne; 20-04-2016, 04:11 PM.
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Never tried it.

Bobby Parker www.bobby-parker.com
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

So it's possible:
          http://forums.odforce.net/topic/2207...visualisation/
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

$199 per year to SideFX for Houdini Indie sounds a lot better than $1450 per year to Autodesk for Max

Now if only I can get my hands on a VRay for Houdini beta and try out an old project...
            Kind Regards,
            Morne

Comment

If Itoosoft developed forestpack and railclone for Houdini then a lot of people would make the switch.
              Chris Jackson
              Shiftmedia
              www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

I highly doubt people would make the switch to houdini for archviz for that reason. First of all with the tools already available inside Houdini users can already build railclone and forest pack like systems. Sure the people who'd do the archviz probably won't be able to reproduce an Houdini Asset like this, but its possible.

Additional in the end doing all the archviz stuff in houdini seems like more work in general. Sure again you can build highly customizeable Assets for certain tasks but will it really save that much work?
                Cheers,
                Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

yeah ive played around with Houdini. for modelling work Max is much faster and nicer to use. houdini however, can literally do *anything* - as long as you know how to use it. unfortunately for me, that involves a really profound understanding of the mathematics behind what you wish to achieve. if you have those skills, it really does not need plugins. although, maybe vray would be nice

bear in mind also that the "indie" price comes with some fairly solid limitations on usage. if you want the full fat version it rapidly becomes more expensive than max ( minus plugins of course)

for me the best thing about houdini (apart from its amazing depth) is: its not autodesk.

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
                    yeah ive played around with Houdini. for modelling work Max is much faster and nicer to use. houdini however, can literally do *anything* - as long as you know how to use it. unfortunately for me, that involves a really profound understanding of the mathematics behind what you wish to achieve. if you have those skills, it really does not need plugins. although, maybe vray would be nice

bear in mind also that the "indie" price comes with some fairly solid limitations on usage. if you want the full fat version it rapidly becomes more expensive than max ( minus plugins of course)

for me the best thing about houdini (apart from its amazing depth) is: its not autodesk.
                    If they upgraded Houdini's modelling tools and be more user friendly, combined with their powerful node system, it would put 3dsmax stack modifier to shame... I asked a coworker if he could model something basic in houdini while i was watching and ye... it's slow, but very powerful... Just the fact that you can turn your entire mesh to voxels and do boolean operations, then convert back to mesh is really powerful... But doing a simple bevel and having some control with it it's a pain for example.

Also it doesn't necessarily need stuff like forest pack, some people are already doing powerful scatter tools with houdini and are free... Of course FP is way more complex than a simple scatter, but i think most of it can be done with native Houdini.

Comment

Yeah there is no single need for FP in Houdini. You can build everything in Houdini, plus if you render in Mantra you can use Packed primitives which is super amazing thing.

Mantra is capable of rendering archviz stuff, it i path trace rendering, similar to Arnold. It is crazy what you can pipe into render, every single attribute you have on mesh ... On interiors it is also like Arnold, slow.

About modeling, honestly it is great for archviz type of modeling. Where modeling toolset is not really usable are organic stuff, which 99% modelers are doing in Zbrush anyway. But they are investing a lot in modeling tools, look latest 15.5 release.

BTW any news on Vray Beta for Houdini?
                      - H -

Comment

Working...
                      X