Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does my display in 3DS Max show so many jaggies ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does my display in 3DS Max show so many jaggies ?

I'm working in 3DS Max 2017 (and am liking the big jump in experience that I'm enjoying coming from 2014).

But I'm getting these annoying jaggies whenever I zoom into my building geometry.

If the scene is newly opened, the building shell looks perfect.

But as soon as I start zooming in with the mouse), I then experience all those jaggies and can't seem to get rid of them without doing a "zoom extent".

Any ideas please ?

Card is a Quadro M6000 and I'm using the latest NVidia Drivers. I've tried Nitrous 11 and 9 and that makes no difference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen-when-zoom-extented-or-opened.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	884821Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen-when-zoomed-in.jpg
Size:	329.1 KB
ID:	884822

Many thanks.
    Jez

------------------------------------
    3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
    Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
    ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

It's due to scene scale, must be either really really small, or big. Normalize the scale and it will be fine.

Comment

Thanks Moriah - yes, you're right - I found a link with someone else having similar issues, and I've done what they suggested and that fixed my problem

(project was a purchased scene from a outsourcing company we used and they built this shell with System Units set to mm ).

Many thanks.

Here's the link in case someone else needs this;

http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/...t-1013703.html
      Jez

3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE

Comment

Hello,

In case that could still help, this effect is often due to the model being too far from the world origin ... this and model scale combined can lead to weird effects like this.
        Nicolas Caplat
        www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for that info - in this case, yes, the model was very far from the origin and I've moved it there too.

Many thanks.
          Jez

Comment

for what it is worth, I've found that models brought into max too far from origin are permanently corrupted in hidden ways, as well as the file is permanently corrupted in hidden ways.
            mh

Comment

Actually I don't think that being too far from origin affects the look. This is due to camera clipping planes being to far apart. Usually on the large scale models you need the min max camera clipping planes to be set higher.

With that said, 3ds max being a single point float precision software means that moving too far away from origin does result in calculation error of all kinds.
              Dmitry Vinnik
              Silhouette Images Inc.
              ShowReel:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
              https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Max as 16bit of internal precision for coordinates.
                The issue is neither with scale, or distance, individually, per se.
                You could have a simple interior room modelled to scale, dead in your origin center, and still run into issues with very very small objects.
                It's how FLOATING point numbers work: in simple terms, you can use the 16 digitis to express something very small, OR something very big (ie. put numbers before or after the dot), but when you want to express BOTH something very big and something very small, you can do so only within the 16 digits allowance (say, 8 on one side, 8 on the other.).

Click image for larger version

Name:	units.png
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	862483

http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX...D-67B1A91E2337
                Lele
                Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                ----------------------
                emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                  You could have a simple interior room modelled to scale, dead in your origin center, and still run into issues with very very small objects.
                  It's how FLOATING point numbers work: in simple terms, you can use the 16 digitis to express something very small, OR something very big (ie. put numbers before or after the dot), but when you want to express BOTH something very big and something very small, you can do so only within the 16 digits allowance (say, 8 on one side, 8 on the other.).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31031[/ATTACH]

Thank you, that was very insightful.
                  Software:
                  Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
                  3ds Max 2016 SP4
                  V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
                  Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
                  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
                  64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

i see it all the time, for large scene you have to use meters, no other way, and i mean for really large scene or else things like this start to happen, i like how rhino works where it asks you at the start if your working on a large or small object and it chooses things accordingly so you dont have these issues like in max
                    Architectural and Product Visualization at MITVIZ
                    http://www.mitviz.com/
                    http://mitviz.blogspot.com/
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnmitford/

i7 5960@4 GHZm, 64 gigs Ram, Geforce gtx 970, Geforce RTX 2080 ti x2

Comment

Originally posted by mitviz View Post
                      i see it all the time, for large scene you have to use meters, no other way, and i mean for really large scene or else things like this start to happen, i like how rhino works where it asks you at the start if your working on a large or small object and it chooses things accordingly so you dont have these issues like in max
                      Yeah, I totally understand. This model was brought in from our outsourcing visualisers - they'd set system units to mm for a very large open plan office......
                      Jez

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31031[/ATTACH]

Thanks Lele, as Art says, very useful to know these things
                        Jez

Comment

There is a request to update 3ds max to double precision here :
                          http://3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com/f...l-calculations
                          Might be useful to throw in some votes.

mekene

Comment

Working...
                          X