X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peteristrate
    replied
    Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post
    Don't make wrong assumptions that your workflow matches the one from other artists. I often switch to static mode with Vray Displacement modifier, because I have tons of RAM to use. That way the displacement is rendering much quicker. To be honest I am quite glad that I can decide to look under the hood of Vray or to drive it in auto-mode.
    I prefer advanced things as well, but some things might still be unnecessary.
    The thing you mentioned might be necessary, fair enough.
    Those were just quick assumptions I've made on the spot, I didn't give them a well thought, so don't take things literally.
    I'm only saying what seems unnecessary for me, and Vlado and the teams can only look around and get an idea of what users use / need / request, then remove what is not used by anybody.

Leave a comment:

• peteristrate
    replied
    Originally posted by Morne View Post
    I don't use it as often as I'd like to, but slowly moving my workflow over to it.
    For those that's following Fusion, here're some screenshots to better understand what I was saying:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]32054[/ATTACH]
    In regards to the screenshot you posted, you can also go for Gamut view LUT which is the same as what you did, and which is exactly the same with the Gamut node.

Follow this guy here. He seems to be a Fusion guru.
    1. http://www.comp-fu.com/?s=http%3A%2F...in-fusion-part (option 3 in the blog post applies to us = CGI linear workflow)
    2. http://www.comp-fu.com/2012/02/linea...low-in-fusion/
    3. http://www.comp-fu.com/2012/03/linea...fusion-part-2/

In your saver node, in the export tab, set your output gamma space to sRGB and tick Apply curve. Not sure if it's the "correct" way, since the output jpg is slightly more saturated as the one in the LUT viewport
    Both ways are correct, but when you have a complex composition, you need to add gamma in the composition as a node since you might want to add different corrections to your composition after the gamma node.
    It's also easier to follow it since you can see where it is and what role it plays in your composition: it's more tangible.
    In my compositions, gamma node comes quite early, right after doing mask corrections on my image(if the client needs some prouducts colour adjusted) and after I add my LUT. Only then I add other nodes with different effects like glows, chromattic aberration, etc. And then the SAVE node. I do not add gamma right before the SAVE node.
    I did some tests and came to the conclusion that glows, chromattic aberration, etc. look better(or correct) if added on the tonemapped image, and not on the linear image.

Back on topic:
    So what's happening with the legal issues? Is Fstorm carrying on or dead in the water?
    Not sure, but I wouldn't transform this topic into a Fstorm lawsuit.
    Go join Fstorm and Octane facebook groups and you'll see hundreds of comments on this topic.
    The point is that nothing is sure, all are suppositions, untill the court will rule something out... and that will be later. And, even then, they can't do anything to Fstorm developer since he won't be extradited if found guilty(he lives in Russia, if i'm not wrong). They can only forbid other studios from using Fstorm and Fstorm will remain a tool used by a few hobbists in Russia and China where nobody gives a damn about pirated software. But nobody knows if he copied things or not, so let's give him the benefit of the doubt.
    That's all. So, let's skip the drama
    Last edited by peteristrate; 12-08-2016, 08:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dlparisi
    replied
    Thanks Morne.

Leave a comment:

• Morne
    replied
    Originally posted by peteristrate View Post
    Hi Morne.
    I did exactly that and... guess what ? You were right!

That's very strange though. Both the Gamut node and the Fusion-viewer-built-in-Gamut, are exactly the same, but they behave differently.

I'll dig deeper into that, I'm reading some things now. Do you use Fusion as well ?
    I don't use it as often as I'd like to, but slowly moving my workflow over to it.
    For those that's following Fusion, here's some screenshots to better understand what I was saying:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fusionviewport.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	863057

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
    Because I didn't know about it! I don't want to make this a fusion thread but what do you do when you need to output composites?
    In your saver node, in the export tab, set your output gamma space to sRGB and tick Apply curve. Not sure if it's the "correct" way, since the output jpg is slightly more saturated as the one in the LUT viewport

Back on topic:
    So what's happening with the legal issues? Is Fstorm carrying on or dead in the water?
    Last edited by Morne; 12-08-2016, 11:38 AM. Reason: Added extra info

Leave a comment:

• peteristrate
    replied
    It seems to work just fine for me but only if you reverse the Gamma and LUT nodes. I assume the LUT has to be applied to the linear image.
    Yep, that was the problem !!
    I actually comp my other renders this way. It's just when I did this test that I swapped the nodes without realising it.

Leave a comment:

• dlparisi
    replied
    Why are you guys adding a gamma node? Just enable Fusion's viewport LUT and edit it to 2.2
    Because I didn't know about it! I don't want to make this a fusion thread but what do you do when you need to output composites?

Leave a comment:

• vlado
    replied
    Originally posted by glorybound View Post
    Has anyone created a LUT file that mimics what FStorm is doing by default? If FStorm is applying some kind of curve or color correction that is liked, can't we just create a LUT file to match it?
    Attached is a .bcurve file for the V-Ray VFB curve control and .cube file for the LUT control (for the LUT, please turn off the "Convert to Log Space" option.

The curve is more accurate, although I'm still doing some adjustments there for the darker colors.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• peteristrate
    replied
    What if you bypass adding the gamma node, but instead, enable the viewport lut (Fusion View Lut), then edit it an set it the Color Gamma to 2.2. Essentially the same thing, but just give it a test.
    Now add the lut node with the cube file from the vfb (basically skipping the gamma node)
    Hi Morne.
    I did exactly that and... guess what ? You were right!

That's very strange though. Both the Gamut node and the Fusion-viewer-built-in-Gamut, are exactly the same, but they behave differently.

I'll dig deeper into that, I'm reading some things now. Do you use Fusion as well ?

Leave a comment:

• Morne
    replied
    It seems to work just fine for me but only if you reverse the Gamma and LUT nodes. I assume the LUT has to be applied to the linear image.
    Why are you guys adding a gamma node? Just enable Fusion's viewport LUT and edit it to 2.2

Leave a comment:

• kosso_olli
    replied
    8. System: defautl geometry(static, dynamic, auto). Just remove this - make it Auto anyway.
    Don't make wrong assumptions that your workflow matches the one from other artists. I often switch to static mode with Vray Displacement modifier, because I have tons of RAM to use. That way the displacement is rendering much quicker. To be honest I am quite glad that I can decide to look under the hood of Vray or to drive it in auto-mode.

Leave a comment:

• dlparisi
    replied
    I've just got a strange behaviour.
    It looks like the save LUT(.cube file) is not the same when I import it in Fusion with what you get in the VFB.
    Check the 3 images attached.
    Last edited by dlparisi; 12-08-2016, 10:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• peteristrate
    replied
    Originally posted by glorybound View Post
    Has anyone created a LUT file that mimics what FStorm is doing by default? If FStorm is applying some kind of curve or color correction that is liked, can't we just create a LUT file to match it?
    I thought about this and tried it. Failed every single time. I managed to get something close, but nothing to my liking.
    As I mentioned, you could technically do that, manually, using curves or other adjustments in the VFB.
    Practically, it's impossible to achieve the same exact effect since you can't have much accuracy manually and you don't know what to change exactly either... because these are phisically accurate things that can only be precisely generated by the engine itself.

Leave a comment:

• glorybound
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Morne
    replied
    What if you bypass adding the gamma node, but instead, enable the viewport lut (Fusion View Lut), then edit it an set it the Color Gamma to 2.2. Essentially the same thing, but just give it a test.
    Now add the lut node with the cube file from the vfb (basically skipping the gamma node)

Leave a comment:

• vlado
    replied
    Can you post both the LUT file and the VFB color correction file (*.vccglb)? This works fine for me generally.

Best regards,
    Vlado

Leave a comment:

Working...
X