Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung Gear - Phone size S7 vs Edge vs Note5

Hi all

So with the Gear being compatible with the S7, S7 Edge and Note, I have a question.

The Gear accomodates different phone sizes with the S7 being the smallest and the Note5 being the largest, by having the point where you plug it into, fixed, and from the other side it adjust to fit the size. So my question is, how does this affect the viewing? I mean logically speaking, when the screen is split in half, the center should be centered to the Gear? So how does it work then if the size adjust only from one side? The Note and Edge fills the gap, but the S7 is smaller so off center isn't it? Anybody tried all 3 phones with the Gear?

Specifically for the Gear VR, which size phone would you recommend for optimal viewing? Or by some magic they all look pretty much the same once you insert it into the Gear?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Hmmm, nobody knows?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

Hey Morne

I'll chat to some guys on Monday. They do VR stuff so should know.
      Gavin Jeoffreys
      Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

Hey Morne

Just took a look at the Gear, and both sides adjust in to fit the phone size.

Cheers
        Gavin
        Gavin Jeoffreys
        Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

Are you sure?
          I was looking at various reviews on Youtube and they all show only the one side adjusts for the size. The other side just flips out for you to connect it, but that part is fixed and not adjustable?
          Even asked one of the Samsung guys here in store and they also said it adjust only on one side. Mine hasnt arrived yet so can't check myself
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

Very sure, sitting with it on my desk.
            Both sides adjust. The connector side has an A and B adjustment that you do manually depending on the phone. The other side automatically adjusts to clamp the phone when you close it.
            Attached Files
            Gavin Jeoffreys
            Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

Great!
              Which phone do you have there?
              Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

Nice I have it as well with a S7 but never noticed the A/B
                What should it be on for the S7?
                Stan

Comment

They have the Note 5s here so it is the largest. S7 is smaller so I think it should be on B, not 100% sure. I think the 7 Edge uses the same length as the note, but it is just not as wide.
                  Don't quote me on this as I only have Notes here, just looking at the way they gear adjusts.
                  Gavin Jeoffreys
                  Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

Originally posted by Sbrusse View Post
                    Nice I have it as well with a S7 but never noticed the A/B
                    What should it be on for the S7?
                    Originally posted by Raven View Post
                    They have the Note 5s here so it is the largest. S7 is smaller so I think it should be on B, not 100% sure. I think the 7 Edge uses the same length as the note, but it is just not as wide.
                    Don't quote me on this as I only have Notes here, just looking at the way they gear adjusts.
                    I think you are right, for the S7 it should be on "B"

Also, with the announcement of the Note7 next month on 2 August (they skipped Note6) I wonder if that will work with the current GearVR or if they will only make that work with a new version when the S8 comes out.
                    Kind Regards,
                    Morne

Comment

Working...
                    X