Computer died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer died

I got some sort of surge yesterday which fried my computer It is/was a dual amd 2400+MP system. i still need to do some more tests to see exactly which components are bad. however i know that one chip is ok and on chip is blown. if i buy a new amd 2400+ MP chip will it be compatible with the old one? i dont know if changes in chip archetecture will screw things up. i dont even know what type of archetecture my chip has. I need to test ram today to see if its good....
    and another question for chaos guys. if i replace my mobo with the same type and get the chip replaced. will i should technically be able to just put everything back together and put back in the hard drives which are still good and everything should run ok without having to re-install things. however will vrays auth code be valid?

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

wow, sorry to hear that man. afraid I can't answer any of your questions but I wish ya luck.

percy

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

you can just replace the cpu and with no affect to your OS .. aslong its compatible. ..
      Natty
      http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

thats just it. im sure all my software will be ok as long as i rebuild the computer with the same parts that i had before. but i just need to know if an AMD2400+ MP chip that uses the old archetecture will run next to an AMD 2400+ MP chip with the new archetecture.

MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with

Comment

Elf:
          I once had a dual Pentium Pro motherboard which I originally purchased with one chip on it with plans to upgrade later. I'm not sure if this is the case with AMD or newer Intel chips but at the time it took me quite a while to find a compatible chip. There are allot of numbers that go into defining when a chip was manufactured (kinda like a software version number). I believe it even had something to do with the QA process. For instance, at that time, I could have owned an Intel P-Pro 160 (MGhz ) which was originally created as a 200 but didn't reach the standards so they mark it as a 160 to sell anyway. This is common with Intel but I'm not so sure about AMD.

Basically I had to match what Intel calls the "Family" and "Stepping" numbers. If you get the wrong chip you could almost think of it as having two versions of VRay on the same render farm. I eventually found a company who was willing to send someone to their warehouse to look at all the boxes and match on. I wish I could remember their name but it was so long ago. I probably still have the receipt and if I come across it when I get home next week I'll pass it on.

Sorry to hear about what happened. Good luck with fixing it.

--Jon

Comment

ill probably just try to get 2 new chips. i hope that there is nothing wrong with the motherboard. ive tested everything and the ram works. and the mobo seems to be working with only a single chip on it. the floppy seems to work although it did smell funny for a little while. and i know my hard drives work. im just worried about plugging things onto this mobo incase there is something wrong with it that hasnt shown its ugly head yet till i get everything put on it then bzzzzt. fried again

Comment

sorry abt that da elf.....

but what was that surge ?? power surge ...how did it get past the stabilizers and things ???

Comment

i think when i was taking out the hard drives and putting them back in i must have plugged somethig in wrong or some sort of wire was touching something it should supposed to be touching or something like that. ive no idea. but when i turned the power on i got the impression it was because of something shorting out in the case than an actual power surge from the wall since it happened when i turned on the power. what would the odds a power surge at that exact moment be.

Comment

Working...
                X