Best for VR Panos - spherical or cube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best for VR Panos - spherical or cube

What is everyone's preferred choice for VR panorama's? Spherical or 12x1 cube maps? It seems some of the automated panorama tour apps out there are only supporting spherical at the moment. I've heard that cubes are generally better than spherical images since there is less stretching at the poles and cube maps load more effectively over the web (ie you can load the tiles instead of the single gigantic spherical panorama).

I'm using spherical because in Adobe Premiere I couldn't get cube to work.
    Luke Szeflinski
    :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

Spherical here as well, works with EasyPano perfectly.

Originally posted by VelvetElvis View Post
      and cube maps load more effectively over the web (ie you can load the tiles instead of the single gigantic spherical panorama).
      Actually if you are using proper software - it will divide your pano by tiles, like Google StreetView and you do not have whole pano loading - only parts of it you are seeing.
      Available for remote work.
      My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/olegbudeanu/

Comment

Cube all the time.... it depends on what is your use anyway. Bur for generic VR experiences, cubemaps!

Comment

Cubemaps. For KRpano you need to split the 12X1 (stereo) or 6x1 (mono) into single 1 X 1 cubes. This can be time consuming so I wrote a script that automates this for me.
          The new upcoming KRpano will natively support cubemaps so you won't have to split them into single cubes anymore.
          Last edited by Morne; 14-01-2017, 01:12 AM.
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

Or www.vrto.me
            Stan

Comment

Hi Fellas,

We are using cubemaps as they are easier to do post production on. One major issue we are having at the minute is that anti-aliasing doesn't appear to work with the "Cube 6x1" camera option, we get the error message in VRay dialog "Image filtering not supported with cube camera".

How is everyone dealing with this?

Thanks

Comment

Anti aliasing works fine, it's just the image filter that doesnt. I only use it when comping into video footage anyway.

Comment

oh yeh, my bad.

Comment

Working...
                  X