Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxscript needed?

Hi Forum,

I currently encountered an interesting problem about selectioning specific objects in a scene (Max 6).
    For example:
    I have a scene where (for import reasons) a large number of primitive cylinders exist. All those cylinders share the same parameters (even materials) except one detail: A part of them is of a different radius then the others.
    As I want to delete those thicker ones and it makes no sense selecting them one by one (10.000 objects) I would need a selection filter that points those thicker cylinders out (the thickness is always the same among those thicker ones).

I wonder if anybody encountered similar situations and what solution would be the best.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

--select all objects to filter out

x=10
    --radius to trigger

filteredobjects=#()

for i in selection do
    (
    try (
    if i.radius >= x then append filteredobjects i
    )
    catch()
    )

clearSelection()
    for i in filteredobjects do selectMore i

--filtered objects should remain selected now
    Marc Lorenz
    ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
    www.marclorenz.com
    www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Hi,

as you're talking about imported geometry, i doubt they still have a radius property, so you might try it with absolute values

first, select one of the big cylinders and type

$.max - $.min

into the script command line. You'll get something like f.ex.[63.5234,63.5234,150.222]
      The first value is the diameter, so if you want to select all cylinders bigger than a certain diameter threshold, you got to edit that value in the script. For sure you can measure out that value as well.
      Then select all cylinders and go.

Code:
      bigones = #()
      diameter = 60 --parameter to edit

for i in selection do
      (
      a = i.max - i.min
      if a.x > diameter
      then append bigones i
      else()
      )
      select bigones
      Hope this helps,
      Michael

edit: for sure, the first value is only the diameter if the cylinders are straight up - else you gotta choose the appropriate one. When they're all rather randomly rotated, my script won't work as it only checks the bounding box in worldspace.
      This signature is only a temporary solution

Comment

Thanks guys,

I'll try that out.

@sushidelic:

Even imported they remain primitive cylinders, as they are vrml objects and 3dsmax knows to translate them to own native cylindres.

Comment

Working...
        X