Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wowsers, Max2017 seems an unwieldy beast!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im totally up for a challenge to model some crazy detailed armchair or sport helmet or even some chandelier in max record whole session vs someone doing the same in houdini. Then we compare recordings and times.
    Luke Szeflinski
    :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

ok case closed I found this: https://vimeo.com/112114913. And I recorder my modeling part here: https://youtu.be/roLDguGN81s

50 minutes houdini to 17 min 3dsmax :P you can add 10 more minutes for adjusting the size of cap dent later on if you're that picky

If we would add rendering part we would TOTALLY crush Houdini !
      Last edited by lukx; 22-02-2017, 01:54 AM.
      Luke Szeflinski

Comment

You're comparing procedural modelling, to standard modelling techniques. Do the same again in Houdini, specially with the new boolean operators in H16.

Comment

Originally posted by Moriah View Post
          You're comparing procedural modelling, to standard modelling techniques. Do the same again in Houdini, specially with the new boolean operators in H16.
          Sure anyone with H16 just do it. Im still open for challenge
          Luke Szeflinski

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
            Don't get me wrong. My limited experience with houdini showed me that its a far more advanced software then anything I've ever learned before. But being a total sandbox, you need to have a much bigger knowledge of things there. For example, same tools like in max / maya exist in houdini but they are called differently. Like smooth normal is called cusp as example. Not knowing this, where there are hundreds of nodes with hundreds of attributes in each, and total ability to go down to the math level of each node is overwhelmingly complex

For blender, I'm not entirely sure. It seems like an extensive software to me. I just don't have the room in my head to learn a new software that I can "maybe" use. I'd rather learn houdini for that matter

Lastly I prefere to stay in the same software which I will be rendering in. So there is no vray in houdini (except beta) and arnold I'm not sure about...mantra just does not give the result I'm used to after vray.

To use houdini and to learn it for just the complexity of it, only to bake everything into cache and export to max / maya is too much overhead.

Large studios can afford the time and diskspace etc, but smaller artists just cannot.

You are right in some way.

but it all depends on what you do exactly. If you do everything like me, learning max is not enough I need to learna dn buy all the damn plugins that all have their own logic while the big strenght in houdini is that everything is there working the same logic (and working all together).

But yes it is for the long run. I don't think I will start using Housdini and blender tomorrow. But I 'm slowly and surelyl getting there.

One important thing is that you need to be a CG geek to learn many softwares like that. You need the love to learn, which I definetley have. Sometimes I'm tired and discourage, but even then I just can't stop learning!

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
            Little Antman
            See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
            Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

Originally posted by lukx View Post
              ok case closed I found this: https://vimeo.com/112114913. And I recorder my modeling part here: https://youtu.be/roLDguGN81s

50 minutes houdini to 17 min 3dsmax :P you can add 10 more minutes for adjusting the size of cap dent later on if you're that picky

If we would add rendering part we would TOTALLY crush Houdini !
              Cool! Nice challenge. But yes Houdini is getting better with H16 for modeling with a new interface too to speed things up. but procedural modeling means that you model it one time a bit slower and then you can make changes and iterations faster. but still Houdini needs to be as fast as max. That's why I think Zbrush is the perfect match to Houdini. I tend to do almost all my modeling in Zbrush these days but still go to max for some hard surface cause I'm not fast or pro enough at hard surface in zbrush yet. I think I can model your tube in zbrush in 5 minutes!

Blender Hard ops (a 15$ add-on to speed up modeling) looks amazingly fast too, but I haven't tried it yet.

Little Antman

Comment

Sure anyone with H16 just do it. Im still open for challenge
                Also you should add the startup time of the software, so add at least a minute for max! 15sec for houdini 1sec for blender.

Little Antman

Comment

Originally posted by jstrob View Post
                  Cool! Nice challenge. But yes Houdini is getting better with H16 for modeling with a new interface too to speed things up. but procedural modeling means that you model it one time a bit slower and then you can make changes and iterations faster. but still Houdini needs to be as fast as max. That's why I think Zbrush is the perfect match to Houdini. I tend to do almost all my modeling in Zbrush these days but still go to max for some hard surface cause I'm not fast or pro enough at hard surface in zbrush yet. I think I can model your tube in zbrush in 5 minutes!

Blender Hard ops (a 15$ add-on to speed up modeling) looks amazingly fast too, but I haven't tried it yet.
                  I tried zmodeler but i miss option to move vertices and precision of max. Whenever I try zmodeler its all over the place, hard to algin stuff. Would love to watch some deep zmodeler tutorials.
                  Luke Szeflinski

Comment

I tried zmodeler but i miss option to move vertices and precision of max. Whenever I try zmodeler its all over the place, hard to algin stuff. Would love to watch some deep zmodeler tutorials.
                    There are a few good ones here. I have to finish watching them too!

Little Antman

Comment

Competition should drive down the price, I would hope. If they would just leave the software alone and spend the next couple years fixing things, maybe people will start to be content with MAX. For me, the price isn't too bad, but I understand that in other places it is extremely high.
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com
                      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I went back to 2016 after about a month with 2017.

Just thought leaving my mark in the statistics here in the forum.
                        Cheers.
                        Guido.

Comment

Working...
                        X