Windows 10 Pro just decided to update during a render

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 Pro just decided to update during a render

I had heard horror stories of Windows 10 restarting during use, but generally they were the Home version.
    Just now however I was doing a render when bam, Windows 10 decides to install a "feature update" which took 45 minutes.

Luckily this was 'after hours' and not an urgent crunch time render, or I would be actively hunting Microsoft managers to punch.

I'm sure I'd set it not to do this in gpedit, however I've just read that this no longer works as it's been patched out of Pro since the 'anniversary update'. http://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/28/mic...indows-10-pro/
    Does anyone know a surefire way to stop this happening again? I can't believe this is actually a thing, but it is. Apparently now only users of Enterprise, Education and Server can control updates.
    Last edited by Richard7666; 15-02-2017, 12:44 AM.

i stopped and disabled "Windows Update" in services. Haven't been bothered since

Comment

Since the Anniversary update, you can no longer disable it. It has happened to me several times. A couple on deadline projects that cause me to miss the deadline.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

yep its rubbish. if only there was a viable alternative.

Comment

WTF ??! no way to control Windows Update ?

I didn't have this problem before and I hope to not have it !
          Anyway, it will be great to have a solution...
          (Sorry for my bad english)

Comment

You can disable/defer updates by editing the group policy.

Go to start menu, type edit group policy, click on app

Go to computer configuration, administrative templates, windows components, windows update

Select "configure automatic updates" and click edit policy setting. Switch it to "enabled" and set the option to "3 - Auto download and notify for install"

We've done this on all our workstations and render nodes. Seems to be working so far.
            Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
              You can disable/defer updates by editing the group policy.

Go to start menu, type edit group policy, click on app

Go to computer configuration, administrative templates, windows components, windows update

Select "configure automatic updates" and click edit policy setting. Switch it to "enabled" and set the option to "3 - Auto download and notify for install"

We've done this on all our workstations and render nodes. Seems to be working so far.
              This is apparently no longer effective in Pro since the anniversary update. You can still set it, but it won't do anything.
              http://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/28/mic...indows-10-pro/
              Last edited by Richard7666; 16-02-2017, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iancamarillo View Post
                i stopped and disabled "Windows Update" in services. Haven't been bothered since
                Hah, if that works that'd be perfect. Didn't think it'd be that easy.

Comment

Had the same issues,

Ended up using the active hours option, which I have set from 10pm to 10am. This means the pc's won't update during these hours which is handy for me as I often render finals overnight. During the day the pc's can update which I can keep track of, is usually only during testrenders anyway.

Other options gave too much hassle imo.

Comment

Working...
                  X