Baked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baked

I have a client wanting a fully baked model, both textures, and lighting. Big deal? How do I go about this?
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

yeah its a big deal. You can't bake reflections/refractions/specular, so it will be either no reflections or dead reflections. Baking requires good uv's so chances are you will have to nicely uv everything. Even then, unless your uvs layed out all objects in one square you will have to bake multiple objects and result will be one baked texture per object in one uv space.

Tons of work in other words
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

You would thing there would be a one click solution for this?
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Flatiron says they can do this, but in my experience it does require a bit more work.
        Also depends what they actually want it for? If its for UE4 lets say, then you have to consider how you bake it.

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
          You would thing there would be a one click solution for this?
          would change the games industry. lot of money been spent trying to do it already.

just say no, it's not worth your time.

Comment

Get more specifics from them. Depending on the model and how many texture sheets they need, just laying out your UVs can take you longer than you would expect. Textures you can probably reuse same texture space for the same textured items like brick, yet your lighting UV space needs to be all unique with no overlap.

It should be billed as a complete add service or new job.

Comment

if you've never done it before it's going to take you twice as long as you spent on the images, at least. assuming you dont hit any hiccups that you cant solve straight away.

Comment

Originally posted by Neilg View Post
                if you've never done it before it's going to take you twice as long as you spent on the images, at least. assuming you dont hit any hiccups that you cant solve straight away.
                As Neil says, it's a PITA. Forget about it.
                James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

More details on the model?

I've got a pretty straight forward process for baking lighting/textures into geometry. You can get away with a lot via quick and dirty unwrapping. I've processed 1-5mil poly scenes with 100+ baked texture maps with relative success. Once it's looking good, it's more a matter of how much time you have to do the baking to get clean bakes. But I haven't used it in any commercial capacity. Only for internal design review - I wish I could show what I've got.

side note: wish VrayDenoise could work automatically on these baked textures - without having to jig up some batch process for all the maps afterwards. It's just too much data to be pushing around (at least for me).
                  Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

I told the guy that it isn't something that I am interested in. He said that everyone he has reached out to said the same thing.
                    Bobby Parker
                    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I told the guy that it isn't something that I am interested in. He said that everyone he has reached out to said the same thing.
                      Funny, that...
                      James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                      Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

what model is this? interior? like if you have just geometry its doable with work. But if you have things like trees or grass, there is absolutely no way
                        Dmitry Vinnik
                        Silhouette Images Inc.
                        ShowReel:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

I tried to go the route of baking maps on a simple oil rig for a simulator I was making to be used in unity3d and quickly abandoned the idea as it was a HUGE undertaking and not worth it in the end.
                          Cheers,
                          -dave
                          ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

its not a hard process, unwrella does a pretty good job of automatically laying out the uvs, you will stil need to tweak them a little but stil it does a good job and flatiron will do a nice bake of the lights, its something i did few years ago on a simple interior and its not as hard as you might think
                            Architectural and Product Visualization at MITVIZ
                            http://www.mitviz.com/
                            http://mitviz.blogspot.com/
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnmitford/

i7 5960@4 GHZm, 64 gigs Ram, Geforce gtx 970, Geforce RTX 2080 ti x2

Comment

Working...
                            X