Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VFX first-timer - Greenscreen Studio IBL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFX first-timer - Greenscreen Studio IBL?

I've a VFX job to do. My first (god, don't make me screw this)
    The whole thing will be filmed in front of a green screen.
    I'll have to add a toony background.
    Most scenes will be in a overcast daylight situation.
    Would you even take a pano from the studio for IBL?
    I think it's maybe not worth it because the background will have a toony style anyway.
    And I may can get away with the mirrorball only for light positions.. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Ihno; 07-03-2017, 09:01 AM.
    German guy, sorry for my English.

Originally posted by Ihno View Post
    I've a VFX job to do. My first (god, don't make me screw this)
    The whole thing will be filmed in front of a green screen.
    I'll have to add a toony background.
    Most scenes will be in a overcast daylight situation.
    Would you even take a pano from the studio for IBL?
    I think it's maybe not worth it because the background will have a toony style anyway.
    And I may can get away with the mirrorball only for light positions.. What do you guys think?
    I usually say, the more reference the better.
    If that's a possibility (because it's not always like that), I always try to get as much informations as i can from the shooting, say pictures, hdris, chrome/grey ball, macbeth, lens information, camera specs and settings, set measures, etc.
    If not needed, you simply won't use them. You won't be able to do the inverse though.
    KCTOO - Directors

Comment

Also get positional marker... but yea get lighting refs too. Snap some HDRS of lamps, and IBL in general.
      Also get lenses distortions, camera details. Get as much as you can...

Stuff like that is gold mine so if u can ask -ask.
      CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Thank you both for the input! I'll try to gather everything I can
        Luckily the camera and lenses as well as the cameraman are ours so I can measure the distortion later.
        With positional marker you mean tracking markers I suppose?
        I'm planning to follow this tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qhe7IO2hwY
        Works like a charm in my tests. I think I'll use 3d Equalizer for the tracking. Tested blender and came to the conclusion that its worth to pay a month rent for 3DE.
        I'm all ears if someone has any further tips (or warnings) for me.
        Last edited by Ihno; 09-03-2017, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I seem to get incorrect brightness in my test hdrs.
          I get some pixels with 21k float value form my 60w livingroom bulb. This seems miles off (v-ray proofs with over bright test render).
          I've not much experience with shooting hdrs my self, is this common? Do I have to turn the mult. way down or clamp it?

I use PS /Lightroom for linealizing and merge to hdr and shoot the brackets with a 600D and magic lantern.
          I turn the shutter speed up till the bulb is not clamped white anymore. The "over" text in the magic lantern histogram disappears. And shoot brackets (+1ev each) till the room is over bright.

Comment

I usually try to stay away from PS as much as possible when it comes down to hdr and 32bits.
            We merge our hdris with ptgui (occasionally i used nuke and hdrshop), and even for a single camera hdri as it's the case of a lamp, i merge them with ptgui to get a consistent base exposure level.
            I don't know your specific case, but every hdri i do gets treated afterwards, in my case with nuke, to balance it against footage. I never had crazy values though, maybe the sun around 50/150 but that's not too bad depending on the situation.
            KCTOO - Directors

Comment

<something went wrong>
              Last edited by Ihno; 24-03-2017, 03:53 PM.

Comment

You where right, Ps was to blame. I tried with affinity and it seems to work way better. Value went down to ~1.5
                Thanks again for your help! I really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                X