Show me the money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show me the money

Where do you guys see the most profit? What kind of project? I get a lot of 1,2,3 houses, but it isn't making me rich. A couple years ago I got a project with 4 houses and 4-5 rooms per house. The project was nice and it paid my bills for a few months. I was able to work on other projects, so it was perfect. I haven't seen this lately. Lately, it seems that budgets are a lot lower and they just want one view of the exterior of their building. Or, even worst, they pay for one and ask for more views for free. Maybe, I need to start up-selling. What are you guys seeing?
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

larger projects with multiple views is best, and we are seeing more of that than before.
    It used to be 1 or 2 views per project, now it's minimum 6, up to usually around 10.

Comment

Good to hear. I am getting a lot of multiple view requests, but usually, they think it's free because the model is already done. Are you charging full price for extra views or discounting it greatly?
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

hi all, i had a lot of nice earnings doing final exams for archi students....usualy they bring me a finished autoCad model, and i "just" do 3D and renders....they usualy want around 12 views plus if they change stuf it costs extra.

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
          Good to hear. I am getting a lot of multiple view requests, but usually, they think it's free because the model is already done. Are you charging full price for extra views or discounting it greatly?
          Full price! unless it really warrants a discount

its never just a case of sticking another camera in, there is always extra work, changes, amendments etc

Comment

Now, that is interesting
            Originally posted by tambyra View Post
            hi all, i had a lot of nice earnings doing final exams for archi students....usualy they bring me a finished autoCad model, and i "just" do 3D and renders....they usualy want around 12 views plus if they change stuf it costs extra.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Full price, nice! I just finished a project that had two views, and the owner sent me a site plan with a dozen more views he wanted, for free. His contract clearly says two views. Needless to say, he was upset. He asked for the model so he can just render out his own stuff. I didn't want to argue, so I sent it, but his computer wouldn't open the model. I think he had 2GB of RAM (he said he has a super computer so it wouldn't be a problem). He TOLD me to delete things he didn't need, remove the things that used a plugin and replace it with light-weight replacement. Really? Needless to say I was upset
              Originally posted by AlexP View Post
              Full price! unless it really warrants a discount

its never just a case of sticking another camera in, there is always extra work, changes, amendments etc
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Needless to say I was upset
                If models are to be shared than never for free.
                out of principle.
                and if they are - than just models, not scenes, not shaders.
                we recently sold residential block (quite simple, 8-10h work) for 1000 GBP (london).
                everything nice of course, preserved instances, mat IDs but nothing more than geometry.
                Marcin Piotrowski
                youtube

Comment

He asked for the model so he can just render out his own stuff. I didn't want to argue, so I sent it, but his computer wouldn't open the model. I think he had 2GB of RAM (he said he has a super computer so it wouldn't be a problem). He TOLD me to delete things he didn't need, remove the things that used a plugin and replace it with light-weight replacement. Really? Needless to say I was upset
                  I never give the models - unless that was the deal to begin with.
                  Jez

------------------------------------
                  3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
                  Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
                  ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

Originally posted by JezUK View Post
                    I never give the models - unless that was the deal to begin with.
                    Ditto here, if they want the models its usually more than the original job and its just a model, no maps and such as Im too lazy to pull only the purchased maps as I cant legally sell them so all the maps are eliminated. Ive only ever had one client want the source files and was the Canadian Gov lol and they never did pay and never got the models, even though they sicked one of their lawyers on me, I had a signed contract saying I do not release source files unless specified and paid for.

-dave
                    Cheers,
                    -dave
                    ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

I agree, no model. How about extra views? Is everyone charging full price or are you discounting? The guy I did the wedding barn for paid for three interiors, but wants 6. I told him that there will be a charge and then he said to change one of the three, which he already got all three finals, to a panoramic. Really!
                      Last edited by glorybound; 15-03-2017, 08:21 AM.
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

let's say...one house with a corner view, two facades "x" and extra of those .75x or .5x ( most of time)....if they want another view showing the other 2 facades ... full price for 1st view and the same discount fee for the extras...since I already have all the facades done from there any additional view has that fee .... the same with the interiors but they are more per room instead of sides.
                        show me the money!!

Comment

I usually charge my day rate for another view. So, if the project would take me four days for the one view, I would do another for 1/4. I have been seeing these guys setting a price for like six views, which is insanely cheap and impossible to compete with. It has been $1,200 for exterior with 6 views.

Originally posted by flino2004 View Post
                          let's say...one house with a corner view, two facades "x" and extra of those .75x or .5x ( most of time)....if they want another view showing the other 2 facades ... full price for 1st view and the same discount fee for the extras...since I already have all the facades done from there any additional view has that fee .... the same with the interiors but they are more per room instead of sides.
                          Bobby Parker
                          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

if you've built the model, landscape, lighting etc and it really is a matter of a different angle, rendering and post - then simply charge an hourly rate for the time taken... you could estimate it or quote it based on your experience of how long it would take you to do those tasks, if things need to change, light angle, plants etc...then that's additional, you can either quote for a new image or simply charge hourly again...

I would never release a model or .max files to a client... who knows what they could do to it, if they created a rubbish image and put it next to yours then you may be associated with it... not a good look for you.

usually clients pay for an image not max/working/photoshop files...? at least that's how I'd do it.

Comment

I think that depends on what "another view" means. If that is just another camera with nothing changed in 3D - I charge for render time + work in PS. If this is some additional work - just check how long it will take to adjust and calculate based on my hourly rate + render time + PS work. Quite easy.
                              Last edited by Oleg_Budeanu; 16-03-2017, 01:13 AM.
                              Available for remote work.
                              My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/olegbudeanu/

Comment

Working...
                              X