Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Max 2017 - anybody having success with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max 2017 - anybody having success with it?

We moved over to Max 2017 a couple of months ago and have been trying since then to implement it for new projects. So far, every project has had to be saved as a 2016 version as Max 2017 is so full of problems. Major display issues. Interface freezing. Files crashing every time the ME is opened.

It has been a complete joke.

Anyone had any success with it? Frustratingly, we have just had to pay for a new year's subscription.

Really not at all impressed.
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

Same as you really, tried it on a couple of projects earlier in the year and ended up saving as Max 2016. It's just wasn't usable for me.

Comment

I keep jumping up to 2017 after each "service pack".... just to revert back to 2016. Odd numbers seem to mean they added "stuff".... Even numbers mean they fixed the "stuff" they added.
      Neal Biggs

3D Generalist | Freelance | Founder | Big5 Studio
      http://big5studio.com/

3ds Max 2022 - V-Ray5 Update 2.2

Comment

Yeah, 2017 is probably one of the worst releases ever ... here we are seriously thinking about ending our subscription (old lic model) and stick to 2016 for a while.
        Nicolas Caplat
        www.intangibles.fr

Comment

thats the funniest question of the day ))
          2017 is a proper fucking nightmare! - sorry for the words
          But if you read the area forum, youll see there are people there who apparently have none of these issues - i guess these are just payed AD trolls
          Cant wait for 2018 - hopefully it will prove that its mostly the even version thats more stable than the odd.
          Martin
          http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

I am using 2017 without major issues. I was having issues with Walls&Tiles installed, but once I figured that out, things got pretty stable. How you guys pay thousands for software you can't use is ridiculous. How AD can justify that is even more ridiculous. There really needs to be a class action lawsuit that puts them in their place. They have made millions without providing a solid product.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com
            e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
            phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
            • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
            • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I lag in max like hell too. Opening render settings sometimes can take ages.
              CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

It is plain ridiculous. I've heard this 'even numbers are best' logic before, but surely that is just a pure coincidence rather than some sort of esoteric conspiracy?

I am so angry with the whole setup. So many hours wasted. So much money spent.

(I think if we could get Chaosgroup/Itoosoft to commit to future support for 3dsmax 2016, we'd drop off the subscription and rid ourselves of this farce.)
                Last edited by tricky; 29-03-2017, 07:18 AM.
                Kind Regards,
                Richard Birket
                http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
                  It is plain ridiculous. I've heard this 'even numbers are best' logic before, but surely that is just a pure coincidence rather than some sort of esoteric conspiracy?

I am so angry with the whole setup. So many hours wasted. So much money spent.

(I think if we could get Chaosgroup/Itoosoft to commit to future support for 3dsmax 2016, we'd drop off the subscription and rid ourselves of this farce.)

God that would be perfect, I'm happy with max 2016, and like you said if Chaosgroup and Itoo could commit to future support for max 2016 that would be
                  even better, I could stop learning C4D and ditch maintenance as well I just don't see it happening, I think we may be able to drag a few more years out of
                  max 2016 but at some point, at least for me, the switch to another software package will come.

Comment

I don't mind paying the $140 a month for my 3DS MAX, however, I do expect it to work. Also, I don't expect it to exponentially go up in price like they say, which is 30% over the next year (if I am not mistaken). AD is capitalism at its best.
                    Bobby Parker
                    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                      I don't mind paying the $140 a month for my 3DS MAX, however, I do expect it to work. Also, I don't expect it to exponentially go up in price like they say, which is 30% over the next year (if I am not mistaken). AD is capitalism at its best.
                      Capitalism or greed ? all of use here are up for a bit of capitalism, but what autodesk is doing is greed. They know their users are pretty much tied in with
                      them, I think they know that very few will jump ship, after all, who wants to start learning a new software package again, or loose all their previous investment
                      in the many years of maintenance paid, training done, plugins purchased. But autodesk also know that if any competition starts getting too big for its boots,
                      they'll just buy them up.

Comment

It is odd that it is more expensive to lease than buy. Leasing should cost less because it is a residual revenue. What if car dealerships stopped selling cars and only leased? Leasing cost less because basically, you always get the newer one; you are committed to upgrading every three years. When you buy, there is no commitment to purchase a new one.I think I am going to start leasing my images. If you want to keep using it, you have to keep paying me.
                        Bobby Parker
                        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I tried it for a while a month ago, seemed good at the beginning, but weird random bullshit started coming up soon - basic scene started from scratch, try to snap in 3d space and instant crash. I mean... wtf.
                          Had to revert because it was unable to perform a basic function like snapping. Really worth the 700eur paid for it :/
                          That was with the latest service pack

Comment

If you are asking if there is a successful case...
                            Yes, at work, we have been using 3dsMax 2017 since last Sep.
                            Our scene usually had more than thousands objects with a few mil polys and lots of xrefs.
                            We do from set extention from character various vfx work.
                            We actually forced to move to 2017 because of a few bugs in 2016 which 2017 solves.

One thing is... we still stay on windows 7. Video card is various from 7xx to 10xx to TitanX.
                            A month ago we start to testing on windows 10.
                            Everyday I ask the artust with test PC, if 3dsMax is doing OK. He havs not found a problem.

Another thing is all our PC is from Dell. If that means anything.

It seems 2017 problem is very inconsistent fro user to user in terms of when it happens.
                            More detailed description would be helpful.
                            You can report to Autodel. or.. if you just post here or PM me, I can relay to Autodesk.
                            At least I know snap issue. I heard it has been fixed in their internal build.

Comment

It might very well be Win10 issues, but that seems to be an AD issue and not an end user issue. I don't have any snap issues, but it's been a year and people are still having snap issues? Holy cow! I do have fence select issues, but the workaround is toggling the button on/off a few times.
                              Bobby Parker
                              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X