If in 3dsmax 2018 will be this...it will bring back my believe in Autodesk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If in 3dsmax 2018 will be this...it will bring back my believe in Autodesk

If in 3dsmax 2018 will be this: https://vimeo.com/204707688 it will bring back my believe in Autodesk :P
    Luke Szeflinski
    :: www.lukx.com cgi

After releasing this they should be only 10 years behind industry standards

Even though this seems like something epic to see in MAX, it is far from it. People who do lots of modeling switched to other packages like zbrush/modo/maya as they have similar or in many cases much better tools for a long time now.

Viewport performance wise max is so far behind and preventing you to do more complex characters, lack of modern features like real time mesh collision detection, curve deformable meshes, nano mesh, unwrapping(one that works fast ), automated retopology tools, list is pretty long.

Same old same old, i see people here(or other forums) making fuss about smallest most meaningless things for plugins or programs and have pretty much highest possible expectations, you even get answers directly from developers in many cases. While AD sells same product more or less unaltered from version 2008.

Just check one of max 2017 features about booleans.

Fast form hard surfaces
    Updated Booleans are double precision, which gives more reliable results...

They only needed 20 years to handle booleans and they still do not work as they should be, still have to pray, save and try not to lose your mind when you get totally wrong result or crashed scene, not to mention how obsolete that method is altogether. Laughable

Even if they release max 2018 like free software i would not get my hopes high as keeping head cool is priority

Comment

Well I do a lot of modeling and still heaven't switched to other soft. And basically because of lack of modifier stack in other soft.
      Luke Szeflinski

Comment

Every software have it's own approach​ and choice is based on your workflow. Possibilities that software provides on the other hand that's another story and Max shows nothing new unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan1982 View Post
          viewport performance wise max is so far behind...
          Behing what? Maya or C4D? Oh come on... In fact Max 2017 has one of the fastest viewports out there in my opinion. The cars we get are usually around 40 million polies and around 2000 parts. Navigating the viewport is around 40fps. Selecting objects is almost instant. Deforming these meshes is fast, too.
          In Maya on the other hand I freak out after 5 seconds because that piece of software is slow as hell. Try deforming meshes on high poly objects there, good luck! Take a look at these videos, if you haven't already:

https://youtu.be/Lfoj3n0mFV4?t=55s
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdMsTV7S0pQ
          https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Yeah, viewport performance is pretty good in 3ds max. There are so many other areas to complain about, but certianly not this one.
            I tried modo and cinema 4D several times in the past, testing among other things things heavy scene performance and I was never impressed by any of those. Maya, I can't say : never tested.

Also as lukx mentioned, the modifier stack in 3ds max really does make a difference if your workflow heavily relies on it. The parametric aspect advertised by other packages isn't as flexible and powerful. Except of course for Houdini.

mekene

Comment

Even if that is the case, if we talking about simple manipulation of models, rotate or move millions of polys in scene ok then, exactly what you linked in first video.

However i am not using less than 720p but 2.5k, i've attached his image and scale it to match display resolution i am using in 2017... Click image for larger version

Name:	Totally_Legit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	523.9 KB
ID:	867369 and i am not able to do this at his speed in 2.5k.

Second video, i don't know what exactly i should be impressed with, manipulating models with 1 million polys?

Let's say that topic is tools and capabilities specific programs have and how they handle modeling tasks and what AD is showing in their video.

You can actually do things like in second video(and every video on this page) in zbrush real time without any slow downs in 2.5k instead of less than 720p.

Actually you can manipulate subtools with 20mill polys and easily do boolean operations, cut trim and do whatever you wish with it, try cutting through that statue of buddha with cylinder in max using boolean or whatever method they offer...

Rotating, moving and viewing models with many subtools that have total poly count well over 100000000(hundred)million polys aren't problem either in zbrush. If you decide to use Geometry HD(zbrush way of going insanely high with poly counts) that number can go up to billions.

When you finish with those details you are still able to get back(or recreate) low res mesh at any time, reproject details from mesh that have million polys on low res and edit on lowest level by moving vertex, polys or edges like in max and with much more flow and ingenuity i must add.

Creating UV, Normal, Displace, AO maps and whole process is more or less automated if you don't want to bother with it but again you are able to go in such depth max isn't even capable of at that speed, it is how complete package for anything(modeling in this case) should look like.

Maya is years ahead of max when it comes to modeling tools it provides same as modo. I never used Houdini but seeing what people are doing there... where is max against that?

There is not a single impressive thing in MAX except fact that everyone is using it and you can find plugin for about everything. If you need to actually do modeling that is by 2017 standards you have to look elsewhere as default max capabilities are rubbish, would you still use max if there is no plugins for it?

If you want to skin particles you will use Frost, if you want proper hair system you will use ornatrix, instancing you will use FPP... simulations, modeling and whatever you think about... They spent mill$ for Arnold for Rendering, same like before for MR, Radiosity, ART, Iray... What exactly max is offering except being hub for all of good things other companies do? Same AD philosophy of consuming whatever they can and turn it in the garbage over the years...

They would be better off accepting their position right now and continue along that path hubing working stuff instead of looking ridiculous by trying to invent hot water...

Comment

Ivan so what soft you're using ?
                Luke Szeflinski

Comment

Zbrush, there is no that pressure like i have in max if you by any chance collapse mesh and do not keep stack in order it's game over. It's great to know you can pull out from everything. That provides great creative freedom and totally opposite approach then what max is providing. It seems strange at start but when you get used to it you know modeling isn't some boring task, on countrary it's quite fun.

Comment

Originally posted by lukx View Post
                    If in 3dsmax 2018 will be this: https://vimeo.com/204707688 it will bring back my believe in Autodesk :P
                    This is actually in maya though. I think they've been working on this for a bit now, not ready yet.
                    Dmitry Vinnik
                    Silhouette Images Inc.
                    ShowReel:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan1982 View Post
                      Zbrush, there is no that pressure like i have in max if you by any chance collapse mesh and do not keep stack in order it's game over. It's great to know you can pull out from everything. That provides great creative freedom and totally opposite approach then what max is providing. It seems strange at start but when you get used to it you know modeling isn't some boring task, on countrary it's quite fun.
                      ZBrush and 3dsMax/Maya/C4D is like apple and orange.

Comment

Originally posted by gandhics View Post
                        ZBrush and 3dsMax/Maya/C4D is like apple and orange.
                        This. One is a highly specialized sculpting software, the other are major DCC packages with the ability to do all kinds of stuff, inlucding animation, VFX, visualization and in the case of C4D even motion graphics.
                        https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

I use Zbrush a LOT and I really, really love it BUT there are things I can model in minutes in Max that would take hours in Zbrush. They both have their strengths but there's not way I could go pure ZB and remain as versatile.
                          MDI Digital
                          moonjam

Comment

Originally posted by lukx View Post
                            Well it's definitely not in Max 2018, but I just exchanged a few emails with the Hard Mesh guys and they confirmed that they have a Max version in the works. Something to test out by the end of the year, in their own words.

Comment

Originally posted by Franx View Post
                              Well it's definitely not in Max 2018, but I just exchanged a few emails with the Hard Mesh guys and they confirmed that they have a Max version in the works. Something to test out by the end of the year, in their own words.
                              fantastic news !
                              Luke Szeflinski

Comment

Working...
                              X