HELP: Mapping video to lighting panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: Mapping video to lighting panel

I want to map a video to a panel with square lights (about 500 lights each 40x40cm), where each light can only have ONE color.
    Is there a way/plugin that can sample the underlaying video, averaging the color, and assign that to a lightpanel ?

Hope someone can help me !!

Thanks

I am not sure how you'd do it with lights/meshlights but Forestpack with forest texture can do this easily for emissive materials. And I am pretty sure I have done something like this with pflow a few years ago, but somebody else would have to fill in the blanks. Haven't done anything with pflow in a long while.

*edit* This video doesn't show exactly what you want but at around the 6 minute mark it shows how to sample underlying texture color with pflow: https://vimeo.com/103107232
    Last edited by Mokiki; 10-04-2017, 08:19 AM.
    Cheers,
    Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the reply.

The lightpanels are imported from another program and are on a large curved plane. I indeed need to automatically assign a single color to each panel from the underlaying bitmap, but I need to do that on the imported panels. I can not distribute new objects with Forest! Is it possible to import all objects into Forest??

Comment

Are you able to post an example screenshot/photo? In theory you could detach the lighting panels and import them in forest IF your lighting panels are all similar and don't need to be placed in a specific order. (Basically an instance/copy.) Sadly the forest texture needs objects to be scattered with the plugin for it to work.

*example* Here is a quick example. On the top you see the gradient mapped to the geometry I scattered the geo on top + the geometry piece I used for the scatter. If the placement of the geo you're going to import is more complicated than this, this method might not work as well.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Mokiki; 10-04-2017, 09:53 AM.
        Cheers,
        Oliver

Comment

Hi Oliver,

Yes, I know how to distribute instances and color them as the underlying bitmap. The thing is that it's way to much work to remodel/distribute the panels from the imported file. Just hoped for an easy way to color elements with a single color from the video. I now mapped the video, but that is not exactly as it should be since each panel will get a SINGLE color and is not a video monitor in itself.

Thanks though

Comment

How about giving the movie a mosaic effect I think its called in after effects. That basically should do what you want but on a texture basis.
            Last edited by Mokiki; 10-04-2017, 01:00 PM.
            Cheers,
            Oliver

Comment

Not sure if its close to the same thing but I did something like that a few years ago for my company. We had this wall of coloured cubes in our trade show booth that we could control the colour on each cube individually and wanted to create some movement and after some messing around I took the simplest route and just considered the panels as a single pixel so if it appears to be a wide screen look to the way the panels are arranged then the video output would have been 50X100 pixels (50 cubes high and 100 cubes wide) if its a square arrangement then it would be 50X50 pixels. In my case in the end it worked out great. Can you post a photo or something to see what you are working with as far as the panels go?
              Cheers,
              -dave
              ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Working...
              X