1:1 300dpi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1:1 300dpi

So, I have someone interested in renderings and they have request 1:1 scale at 300DPI. Realistic or insane?
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

depends on how close your cam is!

Comment

i get this all the time. and to explain that although the files are saved in raster format, they are indeed created from vector. so in a sense, you could just adjust the dpi to 300 in ps or in the tiff settings of the file output. but this doesnt register with most people not familiar with 3d. they wont know the difference. I just find the highest quality textures and make sure the output shows those details

Comment

It'll be some kind of kitchen display. "There will be a set of real kitchen cabinets sitting in front of the render, so we need to create an optical illusion!"
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Using dpi without giving what the physical print size is has no meaning.
          What size will the print be Bobby?
          Gavin Jeoffreys
          Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

Originally posted by Raven View Post
            Using dpi without giving what the physical print size is has no meaning.
            What size will the print be Bobby?
            What Gavin said +100000000K

1:1 300DPI
            Is it a 1:1 of a drawer, or a 1:1 of entire wall of kitchen cupboards, which make a HUGE difference

Let's take counter height, single door, 1 unit wide.
            900mm high X lets say 450mm wide (about 35.4 inches by 17.7 inches, so lets say 36" X 18" or 5400 pixels X 10800 pixels)
            That gives you a PS file about 170MB if you're comping 1 layer in 8 bit
            Go 32bit 1 layer and you're jumping to 670MB

Let's go a bit further and let's say it's typical full height, 4 units wide (4 doors). Then you get a 21K pixels X 30K pixels image in 8 bit 1 layer which is about 1.8GB, or 7.3GB at 32bit.

It is doable, but you also need to ask how it will be printed. Go to your nearest retail store and right up to their LARGE ad/product prints that they usually hang at the tills or sometimes on walls or columns, you'll notice that if you stand back to see the entire image, it looks pretty good, but right up to it, about arm's length and you'll see there's nothing clear or crisp about the images.

I wonder how Affinity will handle the edits. The largest I've done with Affinity so far is just over 18K and that went smoothly
            Kind Regards,
            Morne

Comment

You will have trouble finding any print shop that prints these large things at 300dpi. Mostly it is somewhere between 50 and 100dpi for banners and stuff. Largest one I ever did was on a bridge over a freeway, about 20m. Was printed at 50dpi.
              https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

The entire kitchen.
                Originally posted by Morne View Post
                What Gavin said +100000000K

1:1 300DPI
                Is it a 1:1 of a drawer, or a 1:1 of entire wall of kitchen cupboards, which make a HUGE difference

Let's take counter height, single door, 1 unit wide.
                900mm high X lets say 450mm wide (about 35.4 inches by 17.7 inches, so lets say 36" X 18" or 5400 pixels X 10800 pixels)
                That gives you a PS file about 170MB if you're comping 1 layer in 8 bit
                Go 32bit 1 layer and you're jumping to 670MB

Let's go a bit further and let's say it's typical full height, 4 units wide (4 doors). Then you get a 21K pixels X 30K pixels image in 8 bit 1 layer which is about 1.8GB, or 7.3GB at 32bit.

It is doable, but you also need to ask how it will be printed. Go to your nearest retail store and right up to their LARGE ad/product prints that they usually hang at the tills or sometimes on walls or columns, you'll notice that if you stand back to see the entire image, it looks pretty good, but right up to it, about arm's length and you'll see there's nothing clear or crisp about the images.

I wonder how Affinity will handle the edits. The largest I've done with Affinity so far is just over 18K and that went smoothly
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post
                  ou will have trouble finding any print shop that prints these large things at 300dpi. Mostly it is somewhere between 50 and 100dpi for banners and stuff. Largest one I ever did was on a bridge over a freeway, about 20m. Was printed at 50dpi.
                  Agreed. Even the 50dpi was probably more than necessary (still somewhat reasonable though). This billboard spec calls out just 12.5 dpi as the final print (http://www.lamar.com/~/media/0082991...990DACA1C7.pdf)
                  www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

haha!!! 3d print this for them then!

Comment

They just mean the final delivery file is 300 dpi. you are working with ppi - it's completely different.
                      dpi is print. ppi is digital scale. you can make an image at 10ppi or 50 and scale to 300dpi later.

Comment

Working...
                      X