What is wrong with MentalRay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is wrong with MentalRay?

What is wrong with MentalRay, native 3DSMax6/7 Renderer?
    Why a lot of people besides the price of Max pay are buying for Vray?fRender/Brazil,etc ?

mental ray only came with max recently

mental ray is very very very slow

mental ray charges several thousand dollars for each machine you want to use for network rendering

Comment

Not to mention that the mental ray guys are evil satanic overlords, and they eat our children.
      Support our freedom, use vray!

Signing out,
      Christian

Comment

Hehe..errr, I mean Brrrr!

Comment

seriously though, mentalray is a VERY mature renderer thats used ALOT even still in hollywood. I just think its connection to max was so crappy in the past that max users were more then ready to step off that bandwagon as soon as something else came along.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

imho mental ray is great as long as you donĀ“t need GI in your scenes.

the integration is not so bad now that is is part of max.

Comment

It's very simple. there is nothing wrong with it, it's one of the most widely used renderers out there. But as Percy said, when it first arrived, the connection to max was terrible, i know it put ME off. And compared to Vray, it is very slow when doing normal everyday scenes. But put it in a big production environment with its own shader writers, and thats where it will shine. So, nothing wrong with it, we just love Vray better!

Marc
              -------------------------------------------------------

"...and we all know how paintful THAT can be, don't we?"

Comment

yeah its at a level of stability and maturity unmatched by most other renderers. its always been the connections to its respective programs that have been its achilles heel.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Working...
                X