No announcement yet.

how to wrap a spline around an object?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to wrap a spline around an object?

Im posting on the OFF TOPIC section, cuz its a 3d MAX question, not vray one.

Im not that experinced in modelling as much of you in here, and Ive only modelled buildings, now im gonna model my first chair for a scene, this will be only 2 objects, the structure and the fabric, the structure are tubes, im making them simple splines and check them "renderable", but for the fabric, im having problems, i was thinking into spline modeling the fabric, and then extrude it, but i cant get the spline to wrap around the tubular structure, i mean, doing it vertex by vertex is really hard, must be an easy way.

Any tips?

can u post your current work on it and/or reference?

Comment

thanks for helping me out ZULIBAN.

The model its on the office, so i guess ill post the screenshot on monday, althought im gonna try to reproduce it at home, if i do that illtry to post it tomorrow.

Anyways, heres the chair i wanna do, is the MALLORCA model, by AMAT-3

I dont want it as detailed as the real thing, because is gonna be used to fill an outdoor scene, i need some tables an this chair, so i was thinking in modelling only the stucture tubes (renderable splines), and just a plane with a bump map or displacement for the wicker, but to create a plane, and then move around its vertexes, would be too hard, so i thought about creating a spline on the side view, around the tubes, and then extrude it, but its also hard.

Comment

maybe you can just use simcloth

---------------------------------------------------
        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

make tubes whit splines then ediatable poly take the parts u want then use shit and move to make another objets then erase and weld in the middle and oyu will have a 100% perfect chair

Comment

maybe this tool helps?(klick on free plugins)
            http://www.itoosoft.com/english/frameset.html

Comment

make tubes whit splines then ediatable poly take the parts u want then use shit and move to make another objets then erase and weld in the middle and oyu will have a 100% perfect chair
              errrr......thanks , zuliban...but, im not sure if I would like to use "shit" on it.

hehehe....
              thanks a lot guys, will see how it goes.

MAXER, thanks for teh tip, gonna play around with that pluggin after I do it modelling in MAX, so i can learn it.

Comment

In case you did'nt understand zuliban meant'shift'. Try shift + scale this will give you a new (cloned) set of polys to work with.

Comment

While actual geometry would be nice and it would be a cool lesson in modelling, I don't think it's at all practical for an outdoor scene. Why reinvent the wheel. Just use textures (like the reeds posted in the image gallery) and vray displacement.
                  LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                  HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                  Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

It's not perfect but I wasn't going to spend too much time on it. No displacement as I read later that you were going to use several of them in a scene outdoors. I gather that this would work fine but you may want to tweak some settings of course. PM me and I'll send it to you:

Comment

thats great!......

mine sucks

Im gonna post the final images of the restaurant i did where i used those chairs.

btw, i see some glow in your render, is that post work?

Comment

Well, modelling takes time and you get better with it. The better you get the more fun it seems to become.

Yes you're right about the slight glow - was just messing around because the scene was a little too simple for my tastes...

Comment

Working...
                        X