Chaos RSS Feeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chaos RSS Feeds

Would it be easy to implement RSS on a thread by thread basis? Or is this something best left to phpBB to implement. I'm going RSS nutty recently...
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Enlighten me jujubee ??
    Natty
    http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

In my blog, I just recently started to explore its RSS capabilities. I downloaded sharpreader and bloglines to test them out. It's great because everytime there's a new topic, I get a brief condensed notification like an IM stating that 'someone signed in.' Of course it is stripped of all images unless you click on the link but there may be a topic you are watching or something may catch your eye.

I've tested out the Blog Readers (or aggregators as some have dubbed them) on a couple of blogs I read regularly, Slashdot.org, Torgeir's Vray.info, and Steampowered. They work wonderfully. Also, phones are becoming RSS enabled. I didn't realize my landline even had RSS capabilties until yesterday. You can get weather and stuff like that on the fly. I gather even Trillian has RSS on it. Firefox has it built in.

So my thoughts were that it would be cool if this feature was somehow enabled within the forum. It would require you to have your cookies set up so that you are logged in all the time (or so I think it would) in order for you to get the latest topics (or headlines) people are posting here. If I am correct you have to be registered in order to view the posts here. Could be wrong. Don't remember.

What would be even cooler (and hence more considerable work) was if we could somehow get it to only track the topics/sections one was interested in via checkbox. On the other hand, the traffic on this site is pretty manageable and I don't think (or hope) the topics will ever get out of control (in other words 'too much' to read or aggregator overload.)

I've never seen a forum have this feature. Think it would be a first.

Comment

its a phpBB thing. Therre probably is a RSS plugin by now, but chaos would have to find and install it.

Comment

Well, I'm kinda bushed right now so I haven't read through everything. Will try to read more if/when I find some spare time. It is possible to syndicate with several of these plugins found here:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/catdb.php?cat=56

However, I noticed there was talk when they first came out that some people had private forums and were wondering how to parse data to the aggregators without giving away logins and passwords. Perhaps one of these plugins/subtopics addresses this issue.

Comment

Working...
          X