Does Seamless Ground Exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Seamless Ground Exist?

I know there wont be anything perfectly seamless but is there anything out there relatively close? Ive tried maps from www.rd-textures.com and they are great for small scenes but I need to show a fair chunk of dirt about say 50'x100' with not much on it for objects so tiling shows up very badly. Any suggestions? Normally I might partly use forest pro but again this has to be mostly dirt with maybe some small rocks scattered here and there.

Cheers,

-dave
    Cheers,
    -dave
    ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Hey Dave, I usually grab a couple of tiled textures and stack them with noise masks, that gets rid of most if not all visible tiling and you can create some large scale variation as well this way (more sandy in certain areas, more rocky in others, etc.).
    Rens Heeren
    Generalist
    WEBSITE - IMDB - LINKEDIN - OSL SHADERS

Comment

Im not totally sure what you are describing but if you could go in to a bit more detail I would be greatful. I need to learn more complex shading techniques but time and money are large factors even though I love learning new things...
      Cheers,
      -dave
      ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Sure, for example in a composite map you make five different layers, all set to normal. Plug different tileable textures in them. Then for each one you create a different noise texture (noise, berconnoise, or an image for example) and connect those to each mask input. I can grab some screenshots tomorrow if you need.
        Rens Heeren
        Generalist

Comment

Sure that would definitely help
          Cheers,
          -dave

Comment

Another option, but less advanced is to use a mix map with your base texture, a duplicate of your base texture rotated 45degrees and adjust the mix with a noise map. Depending on the size of the texture and area this can also work quite well. But it gives less control than the other method mentioned earlier.

bertrand benoit has a tutorial for the other method but uses it for asphalt. Worth checking out.
            Last edited by dean_dmoo; 10-06-2017, 07:40 AM.

Comment

He's an image of the setup, haven't checked Bertrand's tutorial but I'm sure it's similar. Set the noises to high contrast with the output curve, create two keys and set them close to each other in the in the middle, left one at 0, right one at 1, Good point also with rotating it 45 degrees!
              Attached Files
              Rens Heeren
              Generalist

Comment

Thanks much Ill see if I can make this work
                Cheers,
                -dave

Comment

Working...
                X