Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Npower RhinoToMax whishes

Hi all RhinoToMax users,

I posted this in the Npower and Rhino newsgroups, based on the lack of responses I can assume there is a very small user base of this plugin, but if we stick together we can get Npower to make this great lil plugin even greater. Here is my whishlist:

1. - Import layer names of rhino file to be imported

2. - Import Dimensions that exist in the rhino file to be imported. Looking EXACTLY like they look in the rhino viewport, same font/size,content, etc. Even if it's made out of surface outlines.

3. - Import Materials Option:
    Meaning if a polysurface has a material called "yellow_plastic_04", I want Max to know that when that thingy gets to Max, look in the active library and if a Max/Vray/etc material exist called "yellow_plastic_04" exists, then assign it on the fly.

4. - Replace Polysurfaces, keep old materials:
    If I first import a 3dm file to Max and the file had 6 polysurfaces all called the same name "metal_buttons", When I re-import another 3dm file to the same Max scene, I want PowerRhinotoMax, to ask me:

"there are 6 objects called "metal_buttons" in the scene, and there are 6 objects called "metal buttons" to be imported, do you want to :

a.replace objects assigning material in Max scene?
    b. replace objects assigning material in 3dm file?
    c.add new objects?
    d.Skip imported objects?

Of course each object need to go to the layers that the new rhino file dictates

5. - Replace Layer:
    Same concept of replace material , but applied to all content of a layer, also asking which material override which.

6. - Import group definitions that exist in the rhino file to be imported

7. - Import Meshes that exist in the rhino file to be imported

8.- Import curves (as Iges curves) that exist in the rhino file to be imported

I'm posting here because I'd like to hear what other Rhino>Max users think and to see how they are getting around these limitations currently and what other ideas you have.

Regards,

Gustavo

Another Rhino2Max User

Hi,

We're holding back and not using the Rhino2Max plugin until they at least fix the layer name problem. Still using DXF.

I understand that if you name the objects (instead of the layers), the names come into 3DS Max properly and can be easily selected with the H key.

Since many times we merge the same scene all over again from Rhino, I've written a script that will copy the materials from the old meshes and transfer them over to the new geometry. It will also try to keep some of the texture coordinates.

It sounds like David Gill was willing to implement some of your requests in the next version of Rhino2Max, eh?

Rob

Comment

**I am an idiot** Thought this was posted in General.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynedain
        **I am an idiot** Thought this was posted in General.
        It was
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

i moved it ....
          Natty
          http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

So I'm not going crazy then....good.

Comment

we didn't say that... :P
              Eric Boer