Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more than one GPU

hello all

I am confused about the SLI bridge or putting more than one graphic card into my pc without it... nvidia writes that putting more than two GTX 1080 is not recommended.
    well that's ok, but do i need an SLI bridge? I thought new mainboards do not need it, so to say simply put serval graphic cards onto the mainborad is enough.

can someone explain it to me, please. I need the cards only for rendering and not for gaming.
    I am confused because I saw pc with way more than two cards in it, and the largest SLI bridge is for four crads, so it doesn't make sense to me...

thanks in advance for clarification and help.

best regrads
    themaxxer
    Pixelschmiede GmbH
    www.pixelschmiede.ch

For rendering V-Ray on GPU you don't need SLI.

I currently use 4 x GPU for rendering V-Ray GPU and intend building that up to 7 (on one motherboard).
    Jez

------------------------------------
    3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
    Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
    ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

For V-Ray GPU rendering, you don't need SLI bridges. In fact, they might cause troubles for V-Ray GPU rendering. V-Ray GPU will automatically find all available GPU devices and will use all of them for rendering. If you want, you can manually pick which devices to be used from the V-Ray RT Render Devices Select settings tab in Max.

Best,
      Blago.
      V-Ray fan.
      Looking busy around GPUs ...
      RTX ON

Comment

the idea of using SLI wasn't sharing the VRAM as well?
        show me the money!!

Comment

Originally posted by flino2004 View Post
          the idea of using SLI wasn't sharing the VRAM as well?
          Not actually. NVLINK is for VRAM sharing.

Best,
          Blago.
          V-Ray fan.
          Looking busy around GPUs ...
          RTX ON

Comment

Working...
          X