Max 2018 is unusable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max 2018 is unusable

I've installed the latest graphics card drivers for the 1060 gtx. Latest SP3. All I get when using max 2018 and the latest vray 3.6 is constant crashes, rendering can make windows appear and dissapear. Anyone else having these types of issues ?
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

After installing latest nvidia driver my stability suffered greatly, I think it was 385x driver. I don't work in max, but maya would just disappear with no explanation. It happened at render time too. Anyway rolling back to 384x restored the stability.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

It's ridiculous, I'm unable to use the latest version even with all the service pack/extension updates installed. It seems to work fine for most part, but when rendering an image with vray it is a nightmare. Computer comes to a crawl, I can barely move the mouse, vfb freezes and disappears after a while, so I have a frozen computer and on top of that can not tell if the render is even going on and how long it's going to take. Unusable for making any sort of render testing. Same scene resaved as 2016 and rendered in 2016 works completely fine.
      Now I imagine 3 years down the road, when vray will be unavailable for older versions we will be stuck with some new crash-happy max or stuck with old/unsupported 2016 compatible version. Thinking about any long term future makes me damn depressed.
      argh

Comment

We've just paid for a new subscription for a year and we can't use max 2018 at all in production. We've had to switch back to 2016. I didn't go with 2017 because of crashes etc so now what ? I keep buying subscriptions in the hope that Autodesk will eventually realease a patch or max version that doesn't crash every 20 mins?

I'm not sure if it is max or max when using vray as we only use vray and max together.
        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

heh, tried 2018 with sp3 this morning at home (still on good old 2015 at work) - RT in Active Shade is not updating shader changes. works nicely with 2015 (same file). not a big deal for most but I will probably not even waste more time testing.
          and yes, I read about new fluid sim. very funny.
          Marcin Piotrowski
          youtube

Comment

max 2018 is unusable, this is a appalling as we have paid for subscription for 2 licenses and have yet to use it in production, yes we can play around with it but alas it crashes consistently if you resize the command panel, use shell or edit mesh modifiers etc. can we get a refund please as this is still a beta program? why can't the rental model work based on your usage, ie. none. The new QT implementation is flawed and half baked as usual. Shame as it could be a great release with the VR interactive and bifrost implementation.
            AMD Threadripper 3990x 64C Processor, 128 GB DDR4-3200 Ram, 48 GB PNY Quadro RTX A6000, ​Windows Pro 10.0.19045, 3dsmax 2024 SP3, Vray 6 Update 2.1, Vantage 2.3.0​

Comment

2019 will be out in a few months
              Chris Jackson
              Shiftmedia
              www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

I am experiencing a couple of really frustrating things that I assumed are Max 2018 specific - I just wanted to check if anyone else has had these problems.

I will often use keyboard shortcuts to access menus - so Alt+F+V for 'view image file', Alt+F+M for 'merge'...etc. but this seems to randomly stop working, sometimes it will do nothing at all sometimes it will open the menu, highlight the item and I then have to hit enter to confirm the command. Other times, it works as expected. I thought it could be machine specific but I've tried it on a couple of different systems now and it still happens. Anyone else had this?

One that has been driving me insane is that when a window/dialog with checkboxes is opened, clicking directly on the the checkbox does nothing. You have to click it twice, once to 'select' the dialog, then again to actually toggle the option. It's stung me pretty severely over the last few weeks where I've disabled saving separate render channels from the VFB, only to find the option was still enabled & my renders are being overwritten. I'm sure that this didn't use to be the case?
                MDI Digital
                moonjam

Comment

Originally posted by AJ Jefferies View Post
                  One that has been driving me insane is that when a window/dialog with checkboxes is opened, clicking directly on the the checkbox does nothing. You have to click it twice, once to 'select' the dialog, then again to actually toggle the option. It's stung me pretty severely over the last few weeks where I've disabled saving separate render channels from the VFB, only to find the option was still enabled & my renders are being overwritten. I'm sure that this didn't use to be the case?
                  Confirmed here ... really PITA ... apart that, tbh we're pretty happy with this release (2018.4, on Windows 7).

Nicolas Caplat
                  www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Originally posted by AJ Jefferies View Post
                    I am experiencing a couple of really frustrating things that I assumed are Max 2018 specific - I just wanted to check if anyone else has had these problems.

I will often use keyboard shortcuts to access menus - so Alt+F+V for 'view image file', Alt+F+M for 'merge'...etc. but this seems to randomly stop working, sometimes it will do nothing at all sometimes it will open the menu, highlight the item and I then have to hit enter to confirm the command. Other times, it works as expected. I thought it could be machine specific but I've tried it on a couple of different systems now and it still happens. Anyone else had this?

Yep, I reverted back to 2018.3 because of the keyboard issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X