Faster computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster computer

I purchased my current machine two years ago, used on eBay and I think I am ready for an upgrade. My current is: Dell Precision T7910 36-Core Dual E5-2696 v3 Max 3.8GHz 128GB RAM - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB. What would be better? Of course, I am looking for speed for V-Ray CPU. I would use my current 1080ti and I would want to add a second.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

have a look at https://benchmark.chaosgroup.com/cpu

your pc holds up pretty well.

if you want faster, then get some render nodes and use DR.

if you wanted new render node to add to yours, i would look at threadripper. but its still 10s slower than your current one.

otherwise getting older dual xeons from ebay is pretty good value.

Comment

Originally posted by chriserskine View Post
      have a look at https://benchmark.chaosgroup.com/cpu

your pc holds up pretty well.

if you want faster, then get some render nodes and use DR.

if you wanted new render node to add to yours, i would look at threadripper. but its still 10s slower than your current one.

otherwise getting older dual xeons from ebay is pretty good value.
      So, my two year old used eBay buy is still pretty good? I would go with a slave, but space and cost for V-Ray makes me question that. I wanted a second 1080ti, but my case doesn't even hold my one 1080ti; I have to have the side panel off. I think I can put a second 1080ti, but I am not sure I have the wattage. Plus, I am still not sold on GPU rendering.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I would stay with cpu, but you can always see how your scenes render on gpu, and invest more in that if it works for you. but i find ram limits and a few missing features that i often use, is stopping me from going to gpu.

Comment

Yeah, same here, so I am not all in on GPU. Those top benchmark CPU's are 20 grand processors. Which is the fastest realistic one?
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

So when you say you need faster cpu, do you feel you need more render power? or is that when your machine is rendering you are unable to do more work and work is waiting? The issue is, even if you get a $20 grand cpu, it still is going to speed up things by so much. What you really need is a second machine, or multiple machines. Offload your render there and keep working on main workstation, imho its the only way to expand.
            Dmitry Vinnik
            Silhouette Images Inc.
            ShowReel:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
            https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

I am still fighting the extra V-Ray license, although, it'll pay for itself with one job. How about the BOXX Render Pro 2? I have always thought they were gouging us, but the form factor on the Render Pro 2 is nice.

http://www.boxx.com/quick-ship/quick...-240gb-ssd-w10
              Last edited by glorybound; 17-01-2018, 09:16 PM.
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I guess it depends on how much getting the small size it worth it to you. a single threadripper will be faster.

your pc was benchmarking around 30s, vs 50s for the 2630 v4.

Comment

I might invest in a second 1080ti and really give that a real chance. I have never built my scene with GPU rendering in mind, so it might be my best chance to speed up my workflow. I have a dozen interiors lined up, so now is the time. I'll have to make sure my power supply has the plugs and the power to support another one; I think it does.
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Well i have just upgraded to a dual E5 2697v4 128 gb ram upgrading from an i7 4930. Hopefully arrives saturday so ill let you know what i think of it. I know yours is V3 but still should be good for rendering speed.

Is your issue with the speed of renders or working on the machine etc. If its the speed of working then possibly an i9 high clock speed would suit your day to day needs and then dump the renders at the 72 core machine.
                    Until the memory of multiple GPU's get added i prefer to stay away from it. Most complex arch scenes smash 11gb especially with scatters

Comment

About the licensing, well, close vray UI, launch render, move your chair to the second machine, open vray You don't need to buy another license as when the UI closed, machine acts as a render node.

Or use a program like mouse without borders, get another screen next to you and use the second machine without even moving or changing mouse/keyboard
                      http://www.3dna.be

Comment

Is the issue to purchase of a 2nd V-Ray licence what breaks the deal here ?

I wouldn't hesitate to make that perpetual licence purchase if it gave me the flexibility to work more efficiently (plus it's not as though we're talking AutoDesk licensing agreements here, you can always sell it in the future should you want to).

I've used Xeon's (in fact the same spec as you currently have) and as Lee touches on, the i7's speed of working compared to that of a Xeon is more zippier (to me). Plus i7's etc generally embrace multiple GPU moreso than any Xeon I've ever seen.

The Render Pro 2 sounds nice and I looked at one, I even looked at making my own - but was turned off by the reviews I read regarding their noise and heat (though things might have improved since). Plus there's the Boxx pricing to swallow.........

My personal guess, I imagine, is you'll go for a higher / better spec of Xeon than you currently have.
                        Jez

------------------------------------
                        3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
                        Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
                        ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

Arent boxx machines really overpriced? I dont know what they offer to justify the prices? I build my own machines, so easy to do. Fractal design cases are really quiet and have great airflows. All parts have warranties so no issues there either.
                          e: info@adriandenne.com
                          w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

Originally posted by francomanko View Post
                            Arent boxx machines really overpriced? I dont know what they offer to justify the prices? I build my own machines, so easy to do. Fractal design cases are really quiet and have great airflows. All parts have warranties so no issues there either.
                            Over the last 20 years I have build 100's of machine, however, none in the last few years. When I was building them they were on someone else's dime, so mistakes were cheap. I could pay our local guy a couple hundred bucks to build me one, I just want to make sure that it is the correct one. Ask ten people and you get ten different opinions. My understanding is the XEON's are built to run 24/7 and have ECC memory and Intel's i5, i7, and i9 are consumer grade processors. If I am not going to get great speed out of a new machine, over what I have, then I am not going to bother. I am pretty set on one machine, so I am not having to become an I.T. guy again.
                            Bobby Parker
                            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

But what do you actually want the new machine for ?
                              Rendering power or a fast machine for modelling / setting up lights / multiple scatters etc etc single core operations where max doesnt freeze while doing a complex operation

Comment

Working...
                              X