Max Layer headache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Layer headache

Occasionally I import geometry from a manufacturer.
    Normally, it's okay for the model, but sometimes they are somehow linked and it's making me crazy.
    I have a double stacked oven from Gaggenau. If I try to assign new materials to the different model parts, the material gets assigned to other parts that are not even selected.
    I don't usually make use of the Layers in 3dsmax, but I suspect it's related to that?

So, basically, can I just deactivate layers globally?
    I need to use this model but I can't even assign materials normally.
    Any tips are appreciated
    For now I'll have to remodel those parts...

Thanks in advance!

Hi Voltron
    So are these parts joined together with a MultiSub material? I'm wondering if these are geometry instances or they share the same poly ID with the same Multi Sub material applied

Comment

Hi Bruce,

They are separate objects, not instances. I also have done resetXform, collapse, etc. to each.
      Even when I select one object and assign any material to it, a few other objects somehow also get the material applied.
      All by selecting one unique object and not touching the others..

Lets say I was okay using layers...even then how would I be able to solve this problem?

Using Max2018, had not experienced the issue in max2016...
      Thank you

Comment

its likely some groups were made on different layer than the grouped objects.

What we do is usually select all objects and assign them a new parent layer.
        Is this what youre refering to?
        Martin
        http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
          its likely some groups were made on different layer than the grouped objects.

What we do is usually select all objects and assign them a new parent layer.
          Is this what youre refering to?
          Not in any groups but I'll try that layer idea, thanks.

Comment

here is the model I imported in case...
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X