Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3ds max Material/Map Browser : make Display Group As Text default

Hello,

As you see on the attached picture, I like to have my Material/Map Browser set to display materials as Text only rather than Icons and Text (the default).
    The problem is that the option is reset each time I restart 3ds max. So I'd like to know if it's possible to change this in an INI file (or somewhere else) to make Text display as default ?

Thanks.

mekene

Also very interested in this....I'm looking through some .ini files now to see what I can find.

Comment

working fine in my 2015.
      Marcin Piotrowski
      youtube

Comment

Oh yes, forgot to mention I'm using 3ds max 2016

mekene

Comment

I think the trick is to get it to STAY on when you open a new session of 3DSMax. Currently it reverts back to "show thumbnails" and lags for AGES when you have a large file.

Comment

Originally posted by GVC1123 View Post
            .....and lags for AGES when you have a large file.
            Thats why 1st thing I do with a new install, even now with 2019, is revert back to the legacy mode. WAAAAAAAY more responsive especially on a large file

Kind Regards,
            Morne

Comment

Usually the settings for the ME are stored in SME.ini:
              C:\Users\YOUR_USER_PROFILE\AppData\Local\Autodesk\ 3dsMax\2016 - 64bit\ENU\plugcfg_ln

Unfortunately, I don't see any changes in the file when setting this to icon+text or text only so it must be stored somewhere else. It does stick for me on Max 2016, but I don't see any change in any of the ini files I looked at, no clue where that one is stored...

But, some ini files are stored and read from the max install directory instead the ENU folder. For example, some UI settings don't stick on a PC in our studio unless we set read/write privileges to the max install folder, we don't know why, Max just won't read its settings from the ENU folder. So maybe setting write privileges to your max install folder for your user profile will help to save the ini and make it stick when you restart Max.

Comment

Working...
              X