Business Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Discussion Thread

Do you suppose a registered users only business/industry thread would prove useful? Not to be selfish, but I've had a couple of questions when it comes to the ArchViz industry (contracts, developing business, techniques) that I'm sure you don't want the whole world to know the answers for.
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

actually this is cool so we dont hijack nattys image thread. im here actually reading through a 10 page document that i saved to my hard drive that was posted on cdarchitecture. i never had a chance to read it before and its got load of info on contracts and stuff. its done by a guy named david wright. if anyone has the link still. please repost it

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

found it. this is very very very very very very informative. (throw in a few more verys) http://www.cgarchitect.com/upclose/DW/default.asp

MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with

Comment

http://www.cgarchitect.com/upclose/DW/default.asp

Comment

Comment

hehe...

I've recommended that series of articles several times to people. Most people asking the questions want a simple numerical answer to "How much should I charge for such and such" - but its not really a simple answer, and if people read these articles they'll better themselves as businesspeople.

Comment

Yea I agree, David's articles are extreemly informative.

-dave
              Cheers,
              -dave
              â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX â–  ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX â–  GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX â–  ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k â– 

Comment

Wow guys, thanks for the articles. David was extremely helpful and his advice is truly indespensible. He has some very good points when it comes to maintaining quality/economic standards within the archiviz community. He also has some good advice on strengthening business practices.

So if I want to obtain work according to David, the best thing to do is to start making some cold calls to architectural firms. Now if I wanted to get into 3D architectural visualization (coming from an illustration/production background), what exactly would I need to bring to the table? Who would I even ask for once I got the receptionist on the phone? Is it truly necessary to have an architectural/interior design degree?

Comment

Is it truly necessary to have an architectural/interior design degree?
                  I don't think so. One of the reasons that i love the 3d modeling and animation industry so much is that it is a "show me" industry. You will be required to posess the necessary technical skills to fulfill their needs but ultimately its the end product that they are interested in. So to that end, you will need some really impressive demo material.

As far as who to talk to.....i would say the decision makers. The architects/interior designers themselves. Theres no use talking to a guy who loves what you can do but can't convince the people footing the bill to use you. Set up a meeting, show them your stuff.

Good luck!
                  -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

Comment

I have found that you often need to go over the heads of architects and designers, and go to the source of power and therefore money...their Clients: developers, investors, the money-men.
                    sigpic

Vu Nguyen
                    -------------------------
                    www.loftanimation.com.au

Comment

haha you've hit it right on the head dejavu. The best way if possible is to work straight for the developers, that way you only have to work WITH the architects and designers.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

@ DejaVu - I have found that you often need to go over the heads of architects and designers, and go to the source of power and therefore money...their Clients: developers, investors, the money-men.
                        It sounds like interior designers (and some non-3d skilled architects) can be a pain in the ass - so, if you essentially know nobody in the field like myself, who would you call up to go over their heads? What would they be listed under in the phone book? Developer is such a broad term - there must be some other lingo.

Comment

haha good question. Heres one way to go about it. Go to a construction site, usually somewhere there will be a sign stating who the developer is along with probably the construction company.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Hmmm. I freelanced for a couple of major construction companies here on the East Coast of the US. Still don't know who the heck the 'developers' are.

It's like that conspiracy theory that there's seven of the richest people in the world that secretly control the influx of money into society - yet you will never know who they are because they can afford to be anonymous.

Synonyms anyone?

Comment

Back on topic - does anyone know of any good quote samples for arch projects that can be found?

Comment

Working...
                              X