No announcement yet.

Business Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beware of developers - they come in all shapes and sizes but they are out to make MONEY. Make sure your contract is secure, variations are agreed to, they pay a deposit and you get cash on handover of the project. they are the worst people to get money out of once they have what they want.
    -Peter

Comment

Yes - a lot of shady developers out there. Remember - they are working on gross margins and shave every penny they can.

Architects are a pain to work for. If you are not a fan of the "process" it will be a real drag.

Being an architect / degreed - is a plus, but as long as you can use autocad, talk the lingo and have something to show - nobody will ask.

In boston - try being buddy buddy to the AIA. They have an active young group. http://www.architects.org. Also you can join AIA nationally as an assoc and get listed in the directories and stuff.

But since Boston / Providence is so oversaturated with award-winning arch viz people / firms (that have been there a long time) - I suspect it will be very hard to break into the market.

Meanwhile go check out NeoScape http://www.neoscape.com/ - they might just hire you.
      www.studio2a.co

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions meanadam.

Originally posted by meanadam
        Meanwhile go check out NeoScape http://www.neoscape.com/ - they might just hire you.
        I did and they called me to come back in for a few days. Their work is very impressive - I wish they would post more images on the forum. I'll try to go in sometime next week but I currently have non-3D related stuff going on atm.

As for archvis frims, there really doesn't seem to be too many out here. A lot of architects and schools, but not too many vis firms. Same goes for 3D in general. Boston isn't as big as some people imagine.
        LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
        HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
        Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Boston isn't as big as some people imagine.
          Right = 3 prolific firms with a long time grasp on the local market + NYC = over saturated.

Ask NeoScape about it. You can see how thier work has become less and less about arch viz in the last 3 years.
          www.studio2a.co

Comment

You really think Archvis is oversaturated? You should try illustration...

Comment

Originally posted by Percydaman
              haha you've hit it right on the head dejavu. The best way if possible is to work straight for the developers, that way you only have to work WITH the architects and designers.
              I'm finding most developers (at least here in the Boston area) to be a bit financially frugal and technologically inept. Most of them with multimillion dollar projects don't even have websites. I've had better conversations so far with architects sans interior designers.

Ultimately, money comes through them or the clients. From my discussions, I'm finding most of the work either applies to getting around zoning - townspeople with pitchforks and torches or the ocassional wealthy client that wants a pretty watercolor to hang over their fireplace.

Comment

Are there seasonal lulls in the Architecural/Development industry? I heard somewhere that architectural work/planning usually picks up during the fall because construction work is starting to slow down for the upcoming winter.

Comment

here in Denmark with our company its very slow during summer july-august and then again december-january. Im working for an developer ( employee ? spelling )

all between is full on but sales are best late spring i think.

Comment

Working...
                  X