3ds Max frequent "Error writing to file" errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3ds Max frequent "Error writing to file" errors

In the past few weeks I started getting "Error writing to file" errors whenever I try to save my scene on the network drive. What's that all about? I never had this problem until a month ago and I haven't made any software or hardware changes that I know of. It seems to happen mainly when I have more than one instance of Max open but I've also seen it happen with only one instance open at a time. Thankfully it allows me to save the scene on my desktop and from there I copy it to the project folder on the network drive.

Any ideas how to fix this? I'm using Max 2016.
    Aleksandar Mitov
    www.renarvisuals.com
    office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
    AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
    64GB DDR5
    GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

You're not alone it seems....https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...-max-behaviour

I too seem to be getting this strange behavior with no real clue as to why. I thought it was just the particularly large scene that I've been having problems with but maybe not (it's not that large of a scene compared to others I usually work on). I haven't update gpu drivers in quite a while (probably a few months) and this problem seems to have cropped up in the last week or so. Maybe a windows update? I know I'm not on the latest major windows 10 update (Windows Spring Update or whatever it's called) but I imagine I do have the latest "fixes" installed so maybe something in one of those broke something. Both my workstation and file "server" are running Windows 10 so it's difficult to narrow a solution.
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Somewhere I read it could have something to do with the vray license server. Forgot where though... Maybe we should ask chaos what they think...
      Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
      www.AddYourLight.com
      Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

I had this problem and posted about it here. In my case it was due to backup/syncing using a NAS and also using idrive remote cloud backup. Any backup stuff you may have running will,generate file save errors from max.

https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...-saving-errors

Hope this may help.
        mark f.
        openrangeimaging.com

Max 2023.3.4 | Vray 6 update 2 | Win 10

Core i7 6950 | GeForce RTX 2060 | 64 G RAM

Comment

Thanks, I checked your thread and will try disabling "backup on save" to see if it helps. I don't have a NAS and backup software. All project files and assets are saved and read from an HDD on another workstation in the local network.
          Aleksandar Mitov
          www.renarvisuals.com
          office@renarvisuals.com

64GB DDR5

Comment

In the post I made there is a link to an adesk support article. The last bullet point suggests trying to save to a local drive versus a drive on a network.
            mark f.
            openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Turning off "backup on save" didn't work... Yea, saving on my desktop instead works but that's a really crude way to address the problem. What the hell happened out of a sudden?? This is really infuriating since autobacks also don't save properly and I lose work when Max crashes.
              Last edited by Alex_M; 26-05-2018, 12:48 PM.
              Aleksandar Mitov
              www.renarvisuals.com
              office@renarvisuals.com

64GB DDR5

Comment

I am saving to a local drive and still got it . It disappeared though after changing input for phoenix FD and uninstalling the old and upgrading to the new license server. Don't know which one solved it .Hope it never comes back
                Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
                www.AddYourLight.com
                Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
                  Turning off "backup on save" didn't work... Yea, saving on my desktop instead works but that's a really crude way to address the problem. What the hell happened out of a sudden?? This is really infuriating since autobacks also don't save properly and I lose work when Max crashes.
                  I don’t know when it started. Maybe with 2017. It really messed me upfo a while. It does eem crazy that only 3ds max has a prblem saving files if you have a backup/sync runnining at the same time.

agree about autobak. I have always used it and been saved after crashes. Now it seems to take way longer to have the autobak save as compared to doing file>save. Autobak takes so long i have had to quit using it.
                  mark f.
                  openrangeimaging.com

Comment

I had this happen only once and it drove me crazy. But in my case it was happening with a particular scene only.
                    I thought that maybe it is caused by a callback script that triggers on file presave ? But I don't know how to check or confirm this.

mekene

Comment

This freaking bug is back in 2019 guys...what shoudl i do.
                      Tried remerging but no help :-/
                      Martin
                      http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

What I do, and it seems to work for me:
                        Each time you start max > open Max Listener
                        paste in this: autoSave.BailoutEnabled = off and hit enter
                        It returns the word/value "true" in blue
                        type in "false" and hit enter

close the listener. now you won't have the long autobak save problem. this has to be doen each time you start max.

Maybe this is not addressing your issue. Just put it out there in case it may help
                        mark f.
                        openrangeimaging.com

Comment

thanks mark, will try that for sure.
                          Dows this apply even if i dont have any autobacking and saving enabled in preferences?
                          Martin

Comment

I think if you have those disabled in preferences then what I wrote above will not help. It has been a while so I thankfully have purged most of this from my memory but.... see my post #4 and included link in this topic above. I used to have the problem you describe and it drove me mad. I believe it was caused first by a cloud backup service I was using (idrive) and then I started using a western digital mycloud which caused the same issue. I have to disable syncing on the my cloud or Imget those near can’t save file errors.

saving to any network related drives or similar seems to cause this. Suggest Disable/ suspend any backup/ syncing you may have running and Try saving the scene directly to the drive Max is installed on.

I hope this may help, I know first hand how frustrating and distracting this problem is
                            mark f.
                            openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Thing is that thos happens even if i save to desktop. Other than that we have quite powerful nas setup. Ot really sucks already lost like 6 hours redoing stuff. Oh well... thanks anyway!
                              Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X