Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I render the "Rest" part of the Light Mix pass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I render the "Rest" part of the Light Mix pass?

I am rendering the light mix as a multi EXR and it includes all the lights except for the "Rest" part. I really need this as it lights up the enviroment from the phoenix FD fire.

I have tried rendering VrayAtmosphere and self illumination but that only picks up the fire itself not the lighting on the enviroment.

Cheers!

VRay 5 cpu
    AMD threadripper
    3Ds Max 2022

In worst case you can for sure get it with a subtraction comp in Nuke. (If you subtract all other lights from the full lighting.)
    But I'm interested to know, too.

Comment

Hello,

Actually subtraction is what we also do - RGB - (sum of all other light selects). That's why it isn't a separate render element.

Best regards,
      Yavor
      Yavor Rubenov
      V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

I'm sure the same thing can be achieved in AE but the slap in the face is that the pass is sitting right there in the light mix panel. I’m confused as to why it's not included? I realise you have this work around by using subtraction, but Vray essentially exports an incomplete set of passes in some scenarios such as mine. You can play with them in the frame buffer but lose this control in a compositing software.

Is there a technical reason why thius can't be done?

Thanks!

Comment

The subtraction approach is not a workaroud - it is what V-Ray does under the hood too in the LightMix panel. No real technical reason to not have it apart from the additional memory requirement for another channel - f.e if you are rendering high enough resolutions the additional channel might take 1GB of memory.
          Yavor Rubenov
          V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

I guess it's an extra setup step in AE rather than just being a pass you don't have to manually prepeare each time.

Comment

Same struggle here
              Give the "rest" light feature suggest a like: https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...render-element

Comment

Working...
              X